POSITION TITLE: Peer Counselor
DEPARTMENT: Mental Health Services
REPORT TO: Program Director
Bay Area Community Services is a non-profit, community-based agency serving Alameda County by providing a comprehensive array of mental health and older adult services.
I. POSITION OVERVIEW
The Peer Counselor provides engaging peer support in a self help format to adults exiting the mental health system. The Peer Counselor uses their personal experiences as they see fit to coach individuals into the community.
II. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (All Essential Functions)
- Provide mentoring (responsibility modeling) and shared experience counseling to members supported by their previous personal lived experience.
- Facilitate peer wellness, education and advocacy/educational classes and workshops supported by previous personal lived experience.
- Provide Orientation to self-help resources from the perspective of a consumer in the behavioral health care system to program members based on recovery and wellness principles.
- Promote a safe and healthy environment within the program and support transition and exit from the Behavioral Health Care System based on personal lived experience.
- Work in collaboration with staff (interns, community service providers and volunteers) by providing insight and knowledge of what it means to be a consumer through their lived experiences.
- Document outpatient individual and classroom activities through Clinicians Gateway.
- Provide community based skills such as travel training, trips to the benefit office, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- III. QUALIFICATIONS:
- An individual with lived experience present/past services in the public mental health system
- Graduate of a peer training program such as Best Now required.
- Ability to motivate and inspire by offering consumer related support.
- Ability to work in culturally diverse and sensitive group settings.
- Ability to maintain boundaries in a consumer to consumer based relationship.
- Interpersonal verbal and written communication skills.
- Basic computer skills and ability to type 25 words per minute
- Personal knowledgeable of Alameda County System of Care resources and programs.
IV. CLASSIFICATION: Part Time to Full Time, Non-Exempt, Hourly
- VI. COMPENSATION: Wage Commensurate with background and experience.
Benefits for Full Time staff: Fully paid medical, dental, vision and life insurance; 10 days of vacation leave, 12 sick days, 2.5 days personal leave, 10 holidays.
Benefits for Part Time staff scheduled for a minimum of 20 hours/week: Partially paid medical insurance, full paid dental, vision and life insurance. Pro-rated vacation, sick, personal holiday leave.
Benefits, other than legislated benefits, do not accrue to part time positions scheduled for less than 20 hours each week.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Send resume and cover letter to:
Bay Area Community Services
1814 Franklin Street, 4th floor
Oakland CA 94612