Volunteer at LightHouse!
Volunteers are essential to the success of our organization. We welcome volunteers who have a positive philosophy on blindness, a willingness to learn, and a desire to further LightHouse’s mission. Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us!
While we continue to navigate COVID-19 and many of LightHouse’s services remain remote, volunteers are still an active part of the LightHouse community! There are many ways to engage with LightHouse as a volunteer during this time and we would love to have your continued support once we are safe to resume in-person operations.
Volunteer Opportunities During COVID-19
Personal Services Volunteer (PSV):
As a Personal Service Volunteer, you would be paired with a blind community member and meet with them one-on-one to chat or do support with tasks. These include:
- Sighted task support: Help with various tasks where having a sighted volunteer would make life a little more accessible. Support by reading mail, completing documents, grocery support, and more.
- Friendly visitor: Be a friendly visitor for an isolated blind adult by forming a strong relationship and just chatting. You can meet with folks weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly and will get to choose the frequency when you pick who you would like to work with.
During COVID-19, we have volunteers meeting virtually (on the phone or video calls) and a few meeting in-person for essential tasks (only in the San Francisco Bay Area). You are not required to meet in person if you do not feel safe doing so and will know in advance what the requirements are. You will be required to adhere to LightHouse Volunteer COVID-19 Safety.
Note: In order to be a Personal Service Volunteer, you must complete a background check.
Help support LightHouse by providing administrative support for various LightHouse departments. This might include making calls to our community to administer surveys, data entry and organization, voice recording, and more. This will be one hundred percent virtual until the LightHouse office opens to the public.
Volunteer Opportunities Post COVID-19:
Due to safety concerns and local ordinances, some volunteer activities have been temporarily suspended until further notice. We will keep all volunteers apprised of when these volunteering activities will be safe to resume as we know. We hope to resume the following volunteer opportunities soon:
- Fitness Partners: Pair up with a blind community member to participate in fitness activities. This includes running, hiking, biking, and more. All fitness levels are welcome.
- Program and Event Volunteers: Volunteer to support with in-person programs and events throughout the Bay Area
Enchanted Hills Camp (Napa): Support our camp by providing programmatic support in the summer and/or support with facility management with projects like fire abatement and general beautification.
How to Get Started
Whether you would like to volunteer now or once we are safe to resume services after COVID-19, the signup process is the same. We can also work with you to make sure that volunteering is safe and meaningful for you during the pandemic (and after!).
To get started:
- Complete our volunteer sign up form
- Attend a volunteer orientation. All volunteer orientations will be held on Zoom until further notice and will be held every other month
If you have any other questions or need to contact us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (415) 694 -7320.