Available beginning May or June 2010. Days and times flexible.
A stipend of $10 per hour will be awarded for this position.
Senior Center Without Walls, a non-sectarian, non-profit program sponsored by Episcopal Senior Communities, offers free activities, friendly conversation, and an assortment of classes and support groups on telephone conference calls to elders in Northern California who find it difficult to go to a community senior center. Participants in this unique program enjoy new friendships, share laughter, and become a part of a community while maintaining and improving cognitive vitality.
Graduate students and exceptional undergraduate students in programs of gerontology, social work, occupational therapy, recreation, communications, community health, or related fields are invited to contact us to find out more about an exciting internship program. Though much of the work is on the telephone, the intern must be available to work in our office near Lake Merritt in Oakland for part of the time.
- Learn about the formation and growth of this unique program.
- Gain practical experience working with homebound elders by conducting telephone groups and by having one-to-one telephone contact.
- Assist with outreach, health fairs, and community presentations.
- Become skilled at working with volunteers.
- Have creative input in the further development of SCWW.
- Know that your work is helping to decrease isolation and loneliness among homebound elders.
- Be the recipient of wisdom and appreciation offered by our wonderful participants.
For more information or to request an intern application, please contact Terry Englehart, Director, by phone 510-444-0999, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or letter 114 Montecito Avenue, Oakland, CA 94610.