Member of the State Office management team. Provides the strategic leadership and direction of advocacy efforts in the state by setting the framework for engaging AARP in policy decisions and legislative activities. Manages staff engaged in advocacy efforts in the state and other staff working on media and community outreach through matrix management. Manages and oversees the development and implementation of communications strategies and technology support in accomplishing advocacy campaigns in the state and as part of national campaigns and initiatives. Responsible for the development and management of portions of the state plan and the budgets to support advocacy efforts, both at the state and federal level.
- Plans, develops, and implements a comprehensive statewide advocacy plan to achieve AARP’s state and federal advocacy priorities in the state. Serves as a member of the state office management team, assisting the State Director in establishing overall priorities and strategic direction for the state. Represents AARP before public policy makers and participates in the rulemaking and regulatory processes of the state, and maintains working relationships with lawmakers, policy makers, agency executives, and other elected officials.
- Responsible for staffing, orienting, coaching, managing and evaluating staff. Develops and monitors work plans for and with staff. Manages and documents staff performance and takes corrective action when necessary. Ensures that policies and procedures are carried out appropriately. Identifies training/development needs of staff.
- Provides leadership to the advocacy team and key volunteers in the development of strategies for issue campaigns to reach desired outcomes within the state. Makes budget requests and allocation recommendations to the State Director. Assists in the development of the state operational and financial plans. Responsible for creating and assuring oversight of budgets for issue campaigns. Provides supervision and direction and leads a staff directly and through matrix management in legislative campaigns, community organizing and government relations.
- Serves on national task forces and work groups, representing both state and national priorities, identifying strategic opportunities to advance AARP’s Social Impact and Member Value agendas.
- Oversees development of issue briefings, materials and resources which prepare volunteers for visiting legislators and their staff. Establishes a plan for identification and recruitment of grasstops for the state, to support both state and federal initiatives. Is responsible for leadership in constituency development.
- Works with communications staff to create and implement an aggressive media strategy on issues education and advocacy in the state. Establishes communications strategies and tactics to support critical campaigns.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of state and federal issues. Briefs other staff and volunteers on the issues and the AARP responses for education and advocacy efforts. Provides training to selected volunteers.
- Demonstrates One AARP cultural attributes and behaviors in all interactions.
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy administration, law, business, social or human sciences, or a related discipline and 5-7 years of experience, including supervision and management of staff and/or volunteers; or an equivalent combination of training and experience related to the duties of the position. Must have a strong understanding of the state’s political and community service environments (e.g., community service leaders, partners, organizations, legislative leaders, government officials, major stakeholders, etc.). Previous government relations and grassroots organizing experience strongly encouraged.
- Advanced degree very desirable.
- Bilingual skills may be required for specific assignments based on the needs of the membership segment supported.
- Travel required up to 50% of work time.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply on line at www.aarpjobs.com. Position is posted under “All Available Positions” category.