Graphic Description: Text is superimposed above a street from the birds-eye view with sidewalks on both sides of a crosswalk featuring yellow truncated domes.
In 2017, all San Francisco pedestrian traffic deaths resulted from collisions with a motor vehicle.
There are 18,162 blind pedestrians in SF. Practice these safe driving tips to keep them safe:
- Share the road. The most common cause of pedestrian fatalities is drivers failing to yield to a pedestrians’ right-of-way at crosswalks.
- Follow speed limits. The second most common cause of pedestrian fatalities is drivers driving at unsafe speeds.
- Remove distractions while driving. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, distracted driving caused 3,450 fatalities on US roadways in 2016.
- Careful when turning! Do not make illegal turn on the road. 10% of traffic deaths are caused by people making unsafe left and right turns.
- Practice defensive driving. Watch for anything and everything.
Vision Zero SF Logo