POSITION: LightHouse Information Concierge
REPORTS TO: Director of Community Services
The LightHouse for the Blind is looking for a friendly, creative and customer service oriented Information Concierge to join the LightHouse team as we embark on a fresh journey in our new building in the heart of downtown San Francisco. With 90 employees and an annual budget of $12.5 million, the LightHouse has the resources and imagination to help change the lives of the blind and low vision population of the greater bay area and beyond. One of San Francisco’s oldest and best-known philanthropies, we’re poised to begin operations in 2016 in our brand-new state-of-the-art headquarters on Market Street, where we’ll coordinate volunteers, big tech, teachers, families, students and a caring staff together to design and build new ways to help people with visual impairments.
The LightHouse is seeking a skilled professional to provide the ultimate concierge experience to all visitors to LightHouse headquarters. The ideal candidate has strong customer service skills, is able to multitask in a busy public setting and is comfortable working with a culturally diverse population. This position may also require participation in LightHouse activities not related to information and resources at the discretion of the Director of Community Services.
Education or equivalent: High school diploma; some college helpful.
Experience: Three years’ work experience in customer service-related fields; excellent research skills
Other: Courteous, friendly and professional personal, electronic and telephone manner. Comprehensive knowledge on the latest trends impacting the blind and low vision community as well as a general understanding of the blindness community (e.g., alternative skills blind and low vision people use to work, travel and participate as every day citizens of their communities). Must be a competent and effective user of the Microsoft suite, including Outlook, Word and Excel. Bilingual preferred.
Must be able to carry or transport 20 lbs; sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time; operate standard office equipment; travel independently.
The LightHouse Information Concierge will:
- Assist LightHouse students and the general public in learning about LightHouse and non-LightHouse services and resources on blindness and low vision. by providing information and resources by phone, e-mail and in person.
- Lead tours of the LightHouse headquarters in San Francisco on an as-needed basis.
- Have a role in ‘informational hospitality’, which at times may involve quick, ad-hoc meetings, assembling informal groups in a meeting room or facilitating coffee or tea conversations when appropriate.
- Perform internet research on matters relating to blindness and visual impairment to keep up-to-date on the most current trends and goings-on in the blindness community.
- Assist in creation of surveys to gauge community interests and needs.
- Subscribe to a variety of relevant listservs and media sources with the intention of staying informed about local, statewide and national blindness-related events.
- Respond to email inquiries within one business day.
- Return phone messages within one business day.
- Keep an accurate log of the individuals who walk in, call in or e-mail seeking information about blindness and the LightHouse.
- Utilize, upkeep, maintain and organize an information resource database.
- Enter all pertinent information about each contact into Salesforce.
- Provide reports and statistics on call-ins, walk-ins and e-mails as needed.
- Refer potential LightHouse students to the appropriate department for further assessments, intakes, and training.
- Distribute appropriate materials and publications in person, by mail, or electronically when requested.
- Perform all functions in a professional and friendly manner.
- Demonstrate efficient time management and the ability to prioritize assignments.
- Consistently report to work on time and be ready to begin performing assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Provide First Aid or CPR if necessary.
- Attend staff meetings and departmental briefings.
- Continue to learn and communicate a blindness-positive philosophy.
- Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation. LightHouse has an “employment at will” policy.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé as Word attachments (no .PDFs please), to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints we will only respond to complete submissions in which there is serious interest; thanks for your understanding.