POSITION: Database Administrator
REPORTS TO: Deputy Director
WC CLASS: Clerical
The LightHouse for the Blind is a dynamic organization, serving the blind community through many innovative programs and services. Certified teachers provide training to blind and visually impaired students to increase independence; blind youth engage with their community through blood drives, recreational endeavors, and civic activities; and a quarter of a million pages of Braille are produced each year. Despite these and myriad other accomplishments, we need you. Our staff, board of directors, and other key stakeholders require clean, unencumbered access to data. Your aptitude to learn our primary database, and maximize its value to the organization through simple and intuitive templates will be the key to your success with the LightHouse.
The database administrator will work with all LightHouse departments to ensure a smooth interface with the organization’s Online Database Manager (ODM): http://www.communitytech.net/.
A key function of this position is creation of customized reports as requested by department managers. The Administrator will develop data entry templates to meet the varied needs of all LightHouse staff who interface with the ODM. The Administrator will review existing database systems and protocols, optimize the database for maximum efficiency, and oversee user access to and control of, the database.
The successful candidate will interact with all LightHouse departments, and will immerse themselves in the operations and culture of the organization, as well as the larger blindness community.
Education or equivalent: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Systems Engineering or a related field; commensurate experience may also be considered.
Experience: Minimum of three years’ experience overseeing database operations; progressive development of electronic systems for efficiency.
Other: Proficiency with Microsoft office suite important.
Ability to sit at a desk and focus on a computer screen for long periods of time.
- Manage database access, including user sign-up, orientation and training, and access control.
- Communicate with database vendor to become familiar with LightHouse’s database history, structure, and potential.
Review existing data entry templates and forms.
- Recommend and implement database changes to promote proficient operation across all departments.
- Generate various reports by querying from database as needed.
- Work with LightHouse departments to analyze data derived from database reports.
- Work with the Development department to incorporate database information into grant writing, development and marketing strategies.
- Generate monthly reports tracking number of active students.
- Generate quarterly performance reports to be presented to the Board of Directors.
- Generate annual departmental reports.
- Maintain up-to-date demographic information on all people present in the database.
- Enter service authorizations into the database, and notify appropriate parties of authorization details.
- Assist LightHouse service providers in the implementation of measurable outcomes.
- Participate in program evaluation by incorporating data and performance metrics.
- Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation. We have an “employment at will” policy.
Please submit your cover letter and / or résumé as Word attachments (no .PDF please), only to the e-mail address provided; include the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles at this time. Due to time constraints we may not be able to respond to everyone who expresses interest; thank you.