The San Francisco LightHouse for the Blind & Visually Impaired is proud to be one of three California partners with the United States Association of Blind Athletes (USABA) and the Anthem Foundation for the National Fitness Challenge in 2018.
The goal of the National Fitness Challenge is to raise the physical activity levels of each participant to the level recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This includes 10,000 steps and 30 active minutes per day.
The campaign provides participants with Fitbits to track their steps and fitness activity between October and May.
In addition to helping participants find creative ways to increase their daily steps by matching them with fitness partners and offering discounted gym memberships, the LightHouse supports participants throughout the course of the campaign with a wide variety of fitness and wellness programming and services.
Join us in the coming months for a variety of activities, from hiking to yoga and beyond! To foster overall wellbeing, we also have non-fitness oriented programs in lifestyle skills like cooking and technology.
At the LightHouse, you can:
- Connect with a running guide or be otherwise matched with a partner to support your fitness goals
- Join Fitness SF a deep discount of only $10 per month. Contact Amber Sherrard at ASherrard@lighthouse-sf.org to join.
- Practice yoga weekly
- Learn about the risks and prevention of diabetes at our Diabetes Empowerment Education Program
- Join us for a monthly hiking trip
- Weekly Chair Fitness classes for all levels of mobility
- Sharpen your kitchen skills and learn to make healthy and economical meals in cooking classes as part of our Youth Programs
- Get FREE technology training weekly, to finally figure out that gadget or app that enhances fitness and well-being
- Visit our Adaptations store to peruse products of all kinds that will allow you to monitor your health and keep portion distortion in check
- Get competitive: participate in a 5k partnered with LightHouse to challenge yourself, or just for fun
- Participate in Cycle for Sight on April 20
- Join us for a Paralympic Day; details forthcoming
Blindness is not the barrier many think it is to achieving your fitness goals and enjoying greater well-being — and the LightHouse is here to help get into the rhythm. It’s not too late to join the NFC if you already have a Fitbit — we welcome new participants to join throughout the campaign.
For more information on the National Fitness Challenge, For more information, contact Amber Sherrard at email@example.com.