POSITION: Maintenance Grounds Technician Landscaper
REPORTS TO: Maintenance Manager, EHC
STATUS: Non – Exempt
LOCATION: Napa, CA
WORK ARRANGEMENT: In-person
Application Deadline: Open until filled
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, headquartered in downtown San Francisco, is looking for a Full-Time Maintenance Grounds Technician (MGT), to work at our 311-acre resort, Enchanted Hills Camp in Napa, California. The MGT will perform skilled work in the maintenance and care of the natural environment at our camp in Napa. The focus will be primarily on landscaping. This will include the upkeep of the grounds and landscape.
We are searching for a talented and dedicated landscaper to join our team. You will perform a range of general lawn maintenance duties including applying fertilizers, maintaining the landscape design, removing weeds and dead plants, and supervising repairs. With over 300 acres, fire abatement and knowledge of poisonous plants is needed as well.
As the landscaper, you will ensure the growth and vibrancy of our plants, flowers, lawn, and garden structures. The ideal candidate will be creative, with excellent problem-solving and organizational skills.
Education or equivalent:
- High School degree or GED equivalent
A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a landscaping or grounds-keeping role
The LightHouse welcomes nontraditional applicants and applicants with diverse backgrounds and experience
The MGT will perform regular and directed grounds and landscape maintenance. This will require experience in using mowing, trimming, edging and other landscaping tools.
Although the position will have regular hours, occasional morning or evening duties do require an on-site presence. As a result, this position is accompanied with an offer of free onsite housing for the technician. This is specified in our Housing Agreement which will be discussed during the interview process.
- Must be able to safely operate maintenance equipment including lawnmowers, leaf blowers, and hedge trimmers and other tools and equipment
- Strong knowledge of pest management and basic lawn maintenance
- High attention to detail with excellent organizational skills
- Ability to sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time; operate standard office equipment
The Maintenance Ground Technician will be expected to:
- Demonstrate Physical stamina and the ability to work outdoors for long periods of time
- Requires the ability to lift and carry groundskeeping supplies and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis and up to 100 pounds on an occasional basis
- Prolonged walking or standing, and frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, and reaching daily
- Requires a full range of physical motion to operate manual, electrical and/or gasoline-powered groundskeeping equipment and machines
- Requires the ability to access facilities and areas which may only be accessible by climbing stairs or by climbing ladders to a height of 20 feet (e.g., for tree trimming)
- Must be able to move throughout assigned areas, as the work is performed primarily out-of-doors, year-round
- The MGT must be able to work outdoors for long periods, including occasional work in rain, cold, heat and windy conditions
- Fire Abatement
- The Maintenance Grounds Technician will place a strong focus on Fire Abatement duties as a high priority for this role. Those duties will include:
- String line trimming
- Chainsaw to log splitting
- Chipping, debris clean up
- The Maintenance Grounds Technician will upkeep the landscape
- These duties include mowing, trimming, tree maintenance, edging of landscape
- Thinning and cleaning flower beds and other grounds by hand or utilizing proper tools and equipment; and setting up, adjusting, repairing and maintenance of these tools and equipment
- Apply pesticides to remove harmful insects such as mosquitos, wasps, and ticks
- Conduct general maintenance duties such as cleaning walkways, fixing fountains, and other duties
- Apply fertilizer to help enhance growth
- Take out weeds and dead plants
- Trim overgrown limbs, hedges, and leaves
- Uphold the landscaping design and ensure plant growth
- Plant new decorative bushes, flowers, plants, and shrubs
- Supervise maintenance repairs to equipment, landscape structures, outdoor furniture, and walkways
- Advise clients on how to look after the landscape
- Coordinate with garden designers and landscape architects to ensure the garden meets the client’s expectations
- Janitorial work that includes but is not limited to:
- Plunging toilets
- Cleaning and sanitizing of Restroom floors, toilets, sinks, and showers
- Replace toilet paper in bathrooms as needed
- Collect all trash, including trash from dog refuse collection bins
- The MGT should possess a valid California Driver’s license and a willingness to drive camp vehicles
- Possession of a Class B Driver’s License would be a plus for the Maintenance Grounds Technician
- Possession or willingness to train to get water treatment certification is highly desirable
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
LightHouse is an equal opportunity employer. LightHouse policy and the law prohibit discrimination and harassment based on an individual’s race, ancestry, religion or religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, age (40 and over), sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin (including language use restrictions), marital status, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), physical or mental disability (including HIV and AIDS), military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions, denial of Family and Medical Care leave, height and weight, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local laws, regulations, or ordinances. Our policy and the law prohibit co-workers, third parties, supervisors, and managers from engaging in such conduct.
LightHouse personnel are employed on an at-will basis. Employment at-will means that the employment relationship may be terminated, with or without cause and with or without advance notice at any time by the employee or the Agency.
We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace. Employees are expected to behave in accordance with these objectives.
All employees at LightHouse are hired for an indefinite and unspecified duration and consequently, no employee is guaranteed employment for a specified length of time. Employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and LightHouse. Accordingly, either the employee or LightHouse can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause (“employment at will”).
HOW TO APPLY
After reviewing the complete Job Description located at our website at: https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/, please complete an application as well as a cover letter and résumé as word processing attachments, (no PDFs please).
Please submit those word documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title, Maintenance Grounds Technician Landscaper, in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints we will only respond to complete submissions. Thanks for your understanding.