POSITION: Assistant Facilities Manager
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Facilities
STATUS: Non- Exempt
Application Deadline: Open until filled
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, headquartered in downtown San Francisco, is looking for a full time Assistant Facilities Manager to fill a valued role in our growing organization in San Francisco, CA.
Under the Assistant Director of Facilities supervision, the Assistant Facilities Manager oversees the operations of staff and custodial coordination’s on floors 1-11 of the 1155 LightHouse Building, as well as the common building areas that include the main lobby and garage. In addition, this position provides support to the Facilities and Events departments. Under direct supervision of the Assistant Director, the Assistant Facilities Manager will assist with overseeing all needed onsite coordination and facilities related requests. This position will assist with the set up and break down and coordination of janitorial services for event spaces, work in tandem with the Director of Rehab to coordinate and schedule needed janitorial maintenance in the student residences, report safety concerns, supervise and ensure the janitorial cages and supply closet spaces are being kept maintained, cleaned and orderly; manage and coordinate special janitorial projects, (i.e., carpet cleaning and stair maintenance).
The main work site for this position is at the LightHouse Building in San Francisco. However, the Assistant Facilities Manager may collaborate on janitorial concerns and the use of satellite space for other locations as needed per Manager’s request.
Diversity and Inclusion: LightHouse intentionally and actively works to minimize barriers to employment faced by many marginalized groups. As a result, we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and abilities, including but not limited to applicants who possess various disabilities, racial and ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientation, gender identities, and ages.
Education or equivalent:
A BA degree in related field preferred. Supervisor, Managerial or comparable experience required in related field.
2-4 years of supervisorial experience with a preferred minimum of 5 years of hands-on janitorial experience. Knowledge of waste management requirements (landfill, compost, recycling), and custodial or grounds maintenance. Previous experience overseeing custodial work; Meeting and training staff; Maintaining a high standard of safety; cleanliness, and efficiency. Knowledge and experience as a hiring manager and compliance in the workplace. Knowledge of working within a high-rise building or managing multiple building floors; vendor management; workorder navigation and task delegation; site or building walk-throughs and assessments; event assist/ setup/breakdown; and office space restoration and reset. A demonstrated history of performing minor maintenance repairs in restrooms and buildings, i.e., replace light bulbs, correct placement of ceiling tile, replacing batteries in automatic fixtures, etc. This position must be customer service-centric with an understanding of LightHouse Mission Statements and our Core Values.
- History of reliability and good attendance in the workplace.
- Knowledge of basic computer and technology skills.
- Experience with Calendaring, Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, as well other Software Applications.
- Strong organization and prioritization/time management skills that ensure timely completion of assigned projects.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under constantly changing priorities and demands.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 30 pounds regularly, with occasional transporting up to approximately 50 pounds may be required.
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing or walking for long periods of time (four hours or more).
- Ability to safely and properly use cleaning tools, chemicals, and equipment.
- Solid physical endurance sufficient for occasional prolonged standing, bending, stooping, and stretching.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to manipulate equipment.
- Ability and willingness to work with exposure to environmental conditions.
Assistant Facilities Manager duties are the following:
- Post-COVID environment;
- Will collaborate with Facilities to create and implement virus sanitization measures per established lighthouse protocols and CDC guidelines.
- Training staff in anti-viral techniques and education on the Covid virus including new and developing state and local health orders.
- Scheduling frequent and repeated touch-point cleanings.
- Will be expected to work occasional evenings to observe and supervise evening staff. In addition, the Assistant Facilities Manager will be expected to work on occasional weekends and work overtime as needed.
- Must be flexible and reliable.
- Be willing to be on call for emergencies and perform janitorial duties when needed.
- Coordinate the scheduling of any last minute, unforeseen changes in staff attendance.
- Keep inventory and oversee the organization of janitorial supplies in cages, closets, janitorial bins, and other needed office supplies on floors 9-11.
- Office Supply Procurement; Receive and place orders for 1155 office supplies for all departments.
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail, excluding departmental packages.
- Coordinate all janitorial staff work schedules including approving all vacation and sick time as well as time sheet corrections and payroll approvals on ADP for each pay period.
- Coordinate staff one on one check-ins and team meetings.
- Schedule quarterly trainings with supervision from the Assistant Facility Director.
- Respond promptly and coordinate the execution of all janitorial request and work orders.
- Remain in direct communication with the janitorial team, Management, as well as Security and Property Management through telephone calls, texts and /or email.
- Expected to participate in all Fire, Life Safety Trainings, and act as an active member of the Fire, Life Safety Team.
- Expected to assist in the hiring process; employee relations; documentation and disciplinary actions.
- Assist with employee evaluations and employee KPI’s.
- Expected to collaborate with Management on ways to implement procedures, improve janitorial operations, inventory, safety, and workflow.
- Manage and oversee janitorial checklists as well as create, edit, and distribute any other necessary janitorial documents using basic computer programs i.e., word, excel, PowerPoint.
- Work closely with the building engineer to perform miscellaneous building maintenance requests i.e., changing out lights, batteries, etc.
- Perform equipment checks.
- Remain in compliance with all safety and security policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate a commitment to overall program excellence and professionalism and setting expectation for reporting staff to follow.
- Must focus on customer service while communicating with staff and interacting with tenants and individuals in the building.
- Be aware of janitorial scope of work (i.e., what is and what is not within the scope of work).
- Work closely with Director of Programs and Rehab to coordinate guest and staff residential stays.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Assistant Facilities Manager will be expected to follow directions from state, local government, and public health officials regarding the wearing of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE). As a result, this job may be required to be performed using a mask and gloves for the protection of this employee, the janitorial staff, and all Lighthouse employees. The Assistant Facilities Manager will ensure that all members of the Janitorial staff are always wearing PPE during their workday.
LightHouse is an equal opportunity employer. LightHouse policy and the law prohibit discrimination and harassment based on an individual’s race, ancestry, religion or religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, age (40 and over), sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin (including language use restrictions), marital status, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), physical or mental disability (including HIV and AIDS), military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions, denial of Family and Medical Care leave, height and weight, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local laws, regulations, or ordinances. Our policy and the law prohibit co-workers, third parties, supervisors, and managers from engaging in such conduct.
LightHouse personnel are employed on an at-will basis. Employment at-will means that the employment relationship may be terminated, with or without cause and with or without advance notice at any time by the employee or the Agency.
We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace. Employees are expected to behave in accordance with these objectives.
All employees at LightHouse are hired for an indefinite and unspecified duration and consequently, no employee is guaranteed employment for a specified length of time. Employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and LightHouse. Accordingly, either the employee or LightHouse can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause (“employment at will”).
How to Apply:
After reviewing the complete Job Description located at our website at: https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/, please complete an application as well as a cover letter and résumé as word processing document attachments, (no PDFs please).
Please submit them to email@example.com. Please include the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints, we will only respond to complete submissions. Thanks for your understanding.