In January, the LightHouse Youth Program launched the latest program for low vision and blind transition aged students. The informative new series of monthly workshops will provide low vision and blind transition-aged youth with vital skills and practices that will help them become more successful in higher education and their chosen career path.
Through a variety of speakers and collaborative activities led by successful blind or low vision professionals, students will gain invaluable wisdom that can help them grow and shape themselves into competent blind adults.
Our February 20 session, “Accommodations,” is now open for enrollment. To enroll, email email@example.com or call 415-694-7350.
Topics that will be discussed during these workshops include but are not limited to:
- Effectively navigate through any system to ensure you receive necessary accommodations.
- Learn about accommodations available to college students and those entering the workforce.
- Acquire access technology skills which can be applied to real world situations, and test how effective these technologies might be for yourself.
- Acquire and use blindness skills that will enrich your life and help you achieve your goals, be more confident and learn how to advocate for your needs.
- How to smoothly transition into college from high school or from college to a career.
- Develop Effective cover letters and resumes.
- Practice networking, participate in mock interviews, and understand how to make a strong and positive first impression.
- Learn how to develop, enhance and utilize your network and your relationship with peers and mentors.
- And learn much more!
Who is eligible?
Low Vision and Blind youth and transition-aged students
What is the LightHouse Youth Employment Series?
A series of day long workshops designed to help low vision or blind transition aged students to be prepared to become successfully employed.
When and where will the workshops be held?
9:00 am until 4:00 pm on the following Saturdays: February 20, March 26, April 30 and May 21. These workshops will be held at the LightHouse headquarters.
Is there a cost?
The cost to attend one of the LightHouse Youth Employment Series workshops is $150 per student. In addition to the day’s activities and curriculum, students will receive a light breakfast, lunch and refreshments throughout the day. DOR authorizations or alternate payment source must be secured before students will be eligible to participate.
Saturday, February 20
What is an accommodation? Is the accommodation you are asking for reasonable? Want to learn more about how successful low vision and blind professionals get the necessary accommodations they need to get the job done? During this February’s workshop students will learn about how successful and independent low vision and blind individuals get the necessary accommodations to be successful in college, there career and in life. Students will also learn what might be the best accommodations for their needs whether it is a high tech or low tech solution by participating in hands on demonstrations by professionals that use the accommodations regularly.
Save the Date
Saturday, March 19, 2016
Our March workshop, College Connections, will focus on information and resources that will help high school and college students be more successful in higher education. Students that participate in this workshop will walk away with valuable wisdom from current students and recent graduates about how best to navigate the college system.
For more information on LightHouse YES