Jan 21 –
On Saturday, January 21, 2017, the LightHouse Youth Program is pleased to continue to offer our YES Saturday Workshop Series for low vision and blind transition aged students ages 14 to 26. Candidates must be eligible for transitional rehabilitation services, deemed legally blind by a physician or accredited agency, and able to fulfill the training and work required by the program. The Saturday 8-10 hour session offers key-vocational enrichment curriculum in the critical skill-sets necessary for future employment.
The corps components to each Saturday session are:
- Job Preparedness: YES Program challenges students to practice and develop employment skills emphasizing the latest trends in the workforce, written and oral communications strategies, various job-interviewing and personal-presentation, searching for, securing, and techniques in keeping a job.
- Career Mentorship: Each YES Program emphasizes a Mentor Spotlight---offering YES students the opportunity to engage with a working individual who happens to be blind or visually impaired.
- Adaptive Technology: YES general day-programming includes innovative accessible assignments that will challenge, and encourage increasing vital technological skills required to maximize productivity in the work environment.
- Adjustment to Disability: All YES Students will have the opportunity to improve upon the positive outlook toward disability and difference by participating in empowering self-determination activities, team-building exercises, and setting high expectations for themselves and the blind and low vision community.
- Blindness Skills: YES Program provides students with the opportunity to practice alternative techniques in problem-solving, Structure Discovery travel methods, Literacy, and time/Organizational/House-hold Management.
When: 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Where: LightHouse Headquarters, 1155 Market Street, 10th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103
Cost: Department of Rehabilitation authorizations or alternate payment source must be secured before students will be eligible to participate. Please note - Starting in January 2017 the LightHouse will be introducing a new fee structure for the YES workshop as well as the overnight accommodations.
If you have any questions or wish to apply, please contact Youth Services Coordinator Richie Flores at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 415-694-7328.