Dec 14 – Dec 16
Youth Employment Series (YES) Unite, Serve, and Celebrate: A Weekend of Community and Self Improvement
In December, join the LightHouse Youth Employment Series, YES, workshop focusing on the importance and impact of volunteerism and collaboration as the community unites to provide service and celebrate. Youth will have the opportunity to gain imperative volunteer experience, increase their confidence through community service, as well as personally grow. This is an empowering weekend to improve yourself and your community, all while celebrating and connecting with blind and low vision peers.
YES workshops are monthly weekend-long learning experiences emphasizing the vocational enrichment of low vision and blind youth, increasing and providing access to a multifaceted array of mentorship, employment readiness skills and alternative accessible techniques. The YES Workshop in December will provide students with the opportunity to engage in hands-on volunteer projects, understand the importance of community building, as well as organize a community holiday celebration. The weekend is spent learning from blind and low vision mentors in a supportive atmosphere to further encourage youth to explore and achieve their individualized and professional aspirations.
Workshop Learning Objectives:
1. Participants will be engaged in different volunteer and community involvement opportunities as they gain invaluable insights from hands-on work experiences in different fields.
2. Youth will learn how service and altruism can positively impact the community, enrich their lived experiences, as well as strengthen their resume and college and scholarship applications.
3. Transitional age youth will elevate their confidence and awareness through community building as they take part in the planning, preparation, and hosting of a community celebration.
4. The overnight nature of the YES workshop provides opportunities for students to refine their workplace readiness soft skills including effective social and professional communication and independent living, all while building community with their blind and low vision peers. T
hings to Bring:
1. A notetaking device or implement (braille notetaker, pen, slate and stylus, phone with keyboard, laptop, etc.). You will be asked to complete activities electronically.
2. Necessities you may need such as any orientation and mobility tools to travel safely, money for transportation to and from the workshop, or personal medication.
If you are interested in participating in the December YES Weekend Workshop, please:
1. Contact your Department of Rehabilitation counselor to discuss workshop attendance and authorization. DOR authorizations must be received by Monday 12/10/18.
2. Confirm attendance with Ann Wai-Yee Kwong, Transition Program Specialist, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 415-694-7328.
If you have any questions or would like to pay for your participation in the workshop, please contact email@example.com. Each workshop costs $950 to attend for the entire weekend. Please note, space for this program is limited to 20 students and workshop attendance must be confirmed one week prior.