Appointments for the 2023 Tax Season are full.
If you do not currently have an appointment and wish to be placed on the waiting list, you may call and leave your full name and phone number at 415 – 694 – 7648. There is no guarantee that we will be able to schedule you.
If you would like to find other free tax filing services, we recommend looking at:
- SF Human Services Agency Page, Filing Your Taxes for Free: https://www.sfhsa.org/services/financial-assistance/free-tax-help/file-your-taxes-free
- Calling 211 if in San Francisco
- Calling 311 for the greater Bay Area
While AARP’s Tax Season will close on April 13, the deadline to file both federal and state taxes has been extended to October 15, 2023.
If You have an appointment
If you have questions, please call 415 – 694 - 7648
Please bring with you:
- Your tax paperwork you’ve received in the mail
- A copy of your social security card
- A copy of your photo ID
- If you are eligible for a refund and would like it deposited directly into your account, please bring a voided check. If you do not have a voided check, your refund check will be mailed to you
Masks must be worn at all times.
Out of Scope:
If any of these situations apply to you, you may be out of scope for AARP. If you think that you are out of scope, please feel free to call us so that we can confirm.
- If you do not have health insurance, we cannot prepare your tax return. Apologies, but this is due to the California mandate that requires everybody to have health insurance, which results in tax complications.
- If you have tax deductible contributions to an HSA account, we cannot prepare your tax return. This is due to the differences in Federal and California tax law and is complicated.
- If you have rental income, we cannot prepare your tax return.
- If you are in a civil union or married filing separately, we cannot prepare your tax return. This is due to the differences in Federal and California tax law.
- If you’re self-employed, and want to declare your health insurance premiums as an expense, and are receiving premium tax credits (via CoveredCA), we cannot prepare your tax return.
- If you have rental property, we cannot prepare your return.
- If you have a dependent child with unearned income subject to the “Kiddie Tax”, we cannot prepare your return.
- If you are self-employed and, due to the pandemic, you deferred paying your Self-Employment tax, have a PPP loan, or took Covid sick leave, we cannot prepare your return.
- If you own a business with employees and/or inventory, we cannot prepare your return. You would be wise to hire a professional tax preparer.
- If you have hobby income or not for profit activity, we cannot prepare your return.
There are some specific requirements and not all taxes will be able to be completed by AARP volunteers, these will be addressed when the appointments are made.
If you have any questions, please call 415 -694 -7648. Thank you.