All students, customers, visitors and staff are required to wear a mask indoors in gatherings of 25 people or more, or if asked to do so in someone's personal space at all our sites.
This is an 8 week course that introduces access technology concepts, terminology, and options on smartphones and computers in a group setting. The goal for this group introductory course is to help students not only learn about the basics of access technology but to also learn alongside a community. With our knowledgeable and patient AT instructors, we hope to provide a solid foundation for people who are completely new to access technology or who want to solidify their understanding of what access technology is and can do to empower them.
Here is a brief description of our 8-week curriculum and class schedule:
- 06/09/2022: What Is Access Technology
In this class, we will discuss what the term "Access Technology" means as well as the varied terminology one may come across in learning more about access technology.
- 06/16/2022: Access Technology on Computers
In this class, we will explain the different access technology options on computers by covering Magnification or Zoom options on the Windows and Mac for low vision users. We will also cover the steps to navigate the keyboard and to perform different tasks using Screen Reader on a Windows or Mac.
- 06/23/2022: Access Technology on Smartphones
In this class, we will cover access technology options on smartphones and how to activate screen readers such as Voice Over on iOS and Talk Back on Android devices.
- 06/30/2022: Virtual Assistants and Smart Speakers
In this class, we will review the various voice assistant options such as Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant as well as Smart Speakers such as Homepod, Google Nest, and Echo. Additionally, we will cover the strengths and best uses for these voice assistants.
- 07/07/2022: The Home Screen and Phone Calls:In this class, we will unlock the smartphone and navigate the home screen items and putting our previously learned skills to the test. We will also use virtual assistants such as Siri and Google Assistant to open applications and make phone calls.
- 07/14/2022: Notetaking with Access TechnologyIn this class, we will discuss the different aspects to notetaking whether it be in an academic, professional, or personal context and the uses of adaptive notetaking tools and devices such as digital recorders, Braille devices, and notetaking solutions on smartphones and computers.
- 07/21/2022: Text Messages and Email
In this class, we will explore the basic layout of messaging and email applications and the conversations within the messaging and mail applications. We will also continue to apply our skills and use Siri or Google Assistant to read send, read, and play back text messages and emails.
- 07/28/2022: System Settings and Downloading Apps
In this last class, we will learn to adjust system settings, use Siri/Google Assistant to toggle options such as Wi-Fi, Do Not Disturb, Dark Mode, etc., and search for apps on the App Store or Play Store. Then we will learn how to download and explore new applications.
Session 1is full. But you may RSVP for Session 2 which will start in August to firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the class email list and waitlist.