All students, customers, visitors and staff are required to wear a mask at all of our sites.
Jun 27 – Jul 25
Runs from 3:00 pm to Sunday June 27 to 11:00 am on Sunday July 25.
LightHouse’s Youth Employment Services (YES) Program is excited to offer a redesigned 2021 Summer Academy for youth who are blind or low vision between the ages of 16 and 24. This year, the YES Academy will be hosted at Enchanted Hills Camp (EHC). Hosting it at EHC will allow for outdoor instruction and spatial distancing in order to maximize COVID-19 safety procedures.
Youth will have the opportunity to fill their summer with engaging and valuable pre-employment learning experiences as they participate in independent living training, employment readiness seminars, work-based experiences, mentoring conversations, and memorable social activities all while connecting with life-long friends and mentors as well as supportive LightHouse staff.
The four-week long intensive has the following components:
Week 1 – Your Skills, Your Goals Bootcamp
Week 2 – Expanding Your Employment Knowledge, Networking in the Community
Weeks 3 and 4 – Growing Your Resume, and Work Experience Practicum
By the end of YES Academy, students will expand their web of support and explore their career interests and come away equipped with tools such as a working resume, interview strategies and strengthened profile.
Learning outcomes will be based on the nationally recognized Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (pre-employment transition skills) include: (WIOA) and include:
- Conduct research and informational interviews with professionals resulting in relevant job exploration, counseling, and labor market information.
- Take part in a variety of work-based learning experiences through paid work-based opportunities where they will gain an increased understanding of important topics related to the world of work including:
- Professional presentation and first impressions
- Understanding employer expectations
- Orientation and mobility skills needed for community inclusion
- Self-advocacy and negotiating disability accommodations, and assistive technologies for the workplace.
3. Hone their workplace readiness soft skills such as practicing effective collaboration, drafting, and delivering presentations, and engaging in independent living as they work as a team to support one another as the summer work-based experiences progress.
4. Increase their understanding of resources, services, and knowledge in the areas of self-advocacy, requesting accommodations, college education necessary for certain career paths, financial literacy including benefits planning, as well as legal rights and responsibilities of blind and low vision individuals.
5. Elevate their attitude and confidence through meeting with successful blind and low vision peer mentors and professionals pursuing various careers as well as cultivate community with peers who have similar interests or transition aspirations.
6. Practice setting, progressing and achieving professional and personal goals. They will learn the importance of informed decision making to solidify and achieve their individualized projected post-school employment outcomes.
Due to the popular nature of the YES Summer Academy coupled with physical distancing safety measures, be sure to complete all application and health/safety materials prior to the deadline to be considered. Applicants for the YES Summer Academy must have an open case with the California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) or other entity for funding to cover associated costs. Please note the fee is $7,000 for the entire 4-week program
If you are ready to attend or have any questions, please contact Ann Wai-Yee Kwong, Transition Program Manager, at email@example.com or call 415-484-8377.
To join the YES Summer Academy as a participant, follow the steps below:
- Complete the LightHouse Student Intake Form and select “YES Summer Academy” under the Program Interest section. If you have participated in LightHouse Youth programs within the last year, please skip this step and go directly to Step 2.
- Complete the YES Summer Academy Participation Application and Short Responses. Please send your responses to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 23, 2021.