POSITION: Youth Program Assistant
REPORTS TO: Transition Program Specialist
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
The LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, headquartered in downtown San Francisco, is looking an on-call Youth Program Assistant to fill a valued role in our growing organization.
The LightHouse is currently in a period of growth, increasing our capacity to serve more low-vision and blind clients. We seek a dynamic professional to help us grow our individual and institutional support. The Program’s Department is seeking a Youth Program Assistant to support programs in the Blind Community for the Youth.
This is an As Needed position with primary duties of assisting the Youth Services Team to develop, Facilitate and implement programs for youth that are blind or have low vision
Some college experience preferred, high school diploma or GED required
At least one year of experience working with youth of all ages
Must have competent computer skills with Microsoft Suite and working knowledge of accessible technologies and software. Verifiable experience serving food and basic food safety knowledge is required. Must possess strong personal initiative. Should have curiosity about people, a sense of humor and a team-oriented style to support LightHouse services and the transformative effect we have on the lives of individuals who are blind or have low vision. It is preferred that this person also have CPR and First Aid Certification.
- The Youth Program Assistant will support the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs, services and activities for youth that are blind or have low vision
- This position will be responsible for ensuring safety of students, volunteers, and guest attending programs at all times
- The Youth Program Assistant should possess the ability to manage student behaviors and maintain student wellbeing
- This position is responsible for supervising and leading groups of 8-15 students in a variety of settings and locations including traveling with groups on public transportation and engaging in outdoor recreational activities
- The Youth Program Assistant is responsible for collaborating with volunteers and presenters in a variety of activities and locations
- This person is responsible for creating and maintaining an environment which facilitates youth respect for diversity, and empowerment resulting in positive youth outcomes
- The Youth Program Assistant is responsible for communicating with the Youth Services Team on a regular basis
- The person in this role should possess the ability to be flexible, detail-oriented, and apply excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The Youth Program Assistant should assist in writing and the proofreading of end of activity reports and processing invoices with the Youth Team
- This role is responsible for assisting the Youth Team with the student intake process
- The Youth Program Assistant should encourage transition-age youth to use non-visual techniques regardless of their level of vision while communicating a blind-positive philosophy
- This person will be responsible for working frequent weekend and evening events on a as needed basis
Must be able to sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for several hours at a time. In addition, this person must be available for overnight oversight of students staying at our dorms overnight as well as assistance of students traveling locally and out of state. Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Who We Are:
LightHouse has an audacious mission – to transform the lives of the 40,000 blind people in the greater Bay Area and beyond. We do this through tech design, disability advocacy, consultation, classes and community formation in San Francisco, our four satellite offices and Enchanted Hills Camp in Napa. We are a fun, fascinating, widely diverse, warm and friendly community. We work in downtown San Francisco in a 40,000 square foot state-of-the-art workspace renowned for its universal design, steps from Civic Center BART. LightHouse is working for nothing less than to change the future for blind people and the wider community.
Within a five-minute walk are the world headquarters for Twitter, Uber, Dolby, Zendesk and many other tech giants. Within three blocks are all of the principal building for Northern California’s federal, state and local government. Also in our neighborhood are many theaters, San Francisco Symphony and Opera, the Asian Art Museum and dozens of other key cultural anchors of the entire Bay Area.
The successful candidate will join a unique organization in which blind and sighted professionals work together at every level. Our governing Board of Directors, management and staff are all composed of roughly equal numbers of blind and sighted people, a parity unprecedented in our field.
Founded in 1902, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired provides skills, resources and community for the advancement of all individuals who are blind or have low vision. Our innovative programs have been featured in 60 Minutes, the New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal and beyond. The blind community comes to LightHouse to learn how to travel independently with a white cane, to rejoin the workforce, use accessible technology, and meet a community of mentors and peers. From unique tactile maps, to an unparalleled camp for blind campers, to a world prize for blind ambition, LightHouse offers programs unavailable elsewhere
Learn About Us:
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1155 Market Street, 10th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
The LightHouse offers a rich package of benefits, including medical, vision and dental insurance. Employees are eligible for an employer-matched 401(k) plan and subsidized health club membership, among many other perks.
Depending On Experience; industry competitive
How to Apply:
After reviewing the complete Job Description please apply by going to our website at:
https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/. Please complete the application there as well as a cover letter and résumé as word processing document attachments (no PDFs please). Please submit to
email@example.com, including the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints we will only respond to complete submissions. Thanks for your understanding.