POSITION: Producer, LightHouse Media
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
Founded in 1902, San Francisco’s LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. We offer blindness skills training and relevant services such as access to employment, education, government, information, recreation, transportation and the environment. We also pursue the development of new technology, encourage innovation, and amplify the voices of blind individuals around the world.
The LightHouse is seeking a media professional to edit and guide production of the LightHouse’s website, newsletters, social media, and overall online presence. This producer will serve as the LightHouse’s online voice, and community manager; informing, engaging and mobilizing our local and global audiences by publishing stories, announcements and useful information through our channels on a consistent and daily basis.
An editor-producer who can master the foundational tasks of copyediting, maintaining our website, email outreach and social media properties will find significant room for growth in our new Communications department as we pursue an ambitious slate of video, audio, and photo projects. Communications is a small, agile team where each individual is expected to think creatively, produce steadily, and be prepared to juggle deadlines.
Education or equivalent: College degree in digital arts, design, journalism or a closely related field. Four years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational expectation.
Experience: Has been paid to write or tell stories; Can copyedit like a machine, or better; Can publish in WordPress and MailChimp; Can take edits and want to become an even better writer; Has a basic aptitude for Adobe Creative Cloud.
Other: Obsessed with social media and its evolution; love podcasts and radio; willing to follow web accessibility best practices and official guidelines (read about WCAG); know the disability community – or if not, are fully prepared to research, get acquainted and interact; enjoy meeting people and talking to them; committed to supporting marginalized communities.
An ideal candidate might also:
- Have a background in journalism, research and reporting
- Be familiar with public relations / publicity
- Know how to record and edit audio
- Know how to record and edit video
- Have a mind for advertising
Able to sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time; operate standard office equipment; move 20lbs independently.
On a daily basis, the Producer will:
- Write, collect and edit LightHouse announcements
- Copyedit all written work intended for public consumption
- Maintain LightHouse newsletters and listservs
- Interact on LightHouse and Enchanted Hills Camp social media: answer questions, engage people, and increase our following
- Update and edit the LightHouse calendar
- Check in with other LightHouse’s departments about new announcements and opportunities
In addition to the above duties, a qualified Producer may also:
- Dream up new ideas for stories
- Produce audio and video content
- Crop and edit photos
- Organize media assets
- Improve the functionality and design of our WordPress site
- Support and collaborate with LightHouse’s Creative and Brand Manager
- Attend events
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer to all. We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace. We also operate under a mutual “employment at will” policy.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé as Word attachments (no .PDFs please), to email@example.com, including the job title in the subject line. Please include a link to any relevant clips or portfolio pieces. Due to time constraints we will only respond to complete submissions in which there is serious interest; thanks for your understanding.