POSITION: Shipping Clerk (SC)
REPORTS TO: Plant Manager, Assistant Plant Manager
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
The LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, headquartered in downtown San Francisco, is looking for Shipping Clerk who will perform Shipping & Receiving duties, Material Handling and Forklift Operator work.
The LightHouse is currently in a period of growth, increasing our capacity to serve more low-vision and blind clients. We seek dedicated team members to help us grow our warehousing and production and shipping capability at our Lighthouse Industries (LHI) factory.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent & Forklift Driving Certificate.
Experience: Drive forklift for at least one year.
- The Shipping Clerk will load and unload trucks
- The Shipping Clerk will ship using Fed EX and UPS online
- The Shipping Clerk will create the Bill of Lading or BOL
- The SC will conduct a cycle count when slow
- The SC will move raw material to the right locations
- The Shipping Clerk will do a daily sweep in the warehouse & keep work areas neat and tidy
- The Shipping Clerk will put out garbage & recycle bins for pick up
- The Shipping Clerk will report when raw material levels are getting low
- The SC will conduct a sweep of the dock & production areas as needed
- The SC will Stretch Wrap the Full Goods if needed
- The Shipping Clerk will stack Full Goods in the warehouse
- The Shipping Clerk will stage Full Goods, verify counts & do associated paperwork
- The Shipping Clerk will conduct Receiving, verify count, plus do associated paperwork
- The SC will create & apply labels for Packaging & Commercial Orders
- The SC will report any potential raw material problems
- The Shipping Clerk will report any potential forklift mechanical problems
- The Shipping Clerk will complete a forklift daily maintenance report
- The Shipping Clerk will observe propane levels & report when low on full cylinders
- The SC will make sure to drive safely and follow all forklift rules & regulations
- The Shipping Clerk will make sure everything is in its proper place to avoid potential hazards
- The SC may lift or carry 60lbs throughout the day
- The Shipping Clerk may stand for long periods and climb up and down ladders
The Shipping Clerk will perform any other duties as assigned by the Plant Manager or Assistant Plant Manager. The worker may be called upon to assist with other production duties not specified in this JD such as bottle filling, labelling, packing, etc.
- Occasionally/Frequently/Continually required to stand, walk, and sit
- The SC may occasionally/frequently/continually be required to lift/push/carry items up to 60 pounds
The Production Assistant will work in a warehouse which may be unheated and also involve loading in an open outdoors area under the prevailing weather.
Who We Are:
LightHouse has an audacious mission – to transform the lives of the 40,000 blind people in the greater Bay Area and beyond. We do this through tech design, disability advocacy, consultation, classes and community formation in San Francisco, our four satellite offices and Enchanted Hills Camp in Napa. We are a fun, fascinating, widely diverse, warm and friendly community. We work in downtown San Francisco in a 40,000 square foot state-of-the-art workspace renowned for its universal design, steps from Civic Center BART. LightHouse is working for nothing less than to change the future for blind people and the wider community.
Within a five-minute walk are the world headquarters for Twitter, Uber, Dolby, Zendesk and many other tech giants. Within three blocks are all of the principal building for Northern California’s federal, state and local government. Also in our neighborhood are many theaters, San Francisco Symphony and Opera, the Asian Art Museum and dozens of other key cultural anchors of the entire Bay Area.
The successful candidate will join a unique organization in which blind and sighted professionals work together at every level. Our governing Board of Directors, management and staff are all composed of roughly equal numbers of blind and sighted people, a parity unprecedented in our field.
Founded in 1902, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired provides skills, resources and community for the advancement of all individuals who are blind or have low vision. Our innovative programs have been featured in 60 Minutes, the New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal and beyond. The blind community comes to LightHouse to learn how to travel independently with a white cane, to rejoin the workforce, use accessible technology, and meet a community of mentors and peers. From unique tactile maps, to an unparalleled camp for blind campers, to a world prize for blind ambition, LightHouse offers programs unavailable elsewhere
Learn About Us:
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1155 Market Street, 10th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
The LightHouse offers a rich package of benefits, including medical, vision and dental insurance. Employees are eligible for an employer-matched 401(k) plan and subsidized health club membership, among many other perks.
Depending on Experience; industry competitive
How to Apply:
After reviewing the complete Job Description please apply by going to our website at: https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/.
Please complete the application there as well as a cover letter and résumé as word processing document attachments (no PDFs please).
Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints we will only respond to complete submissions. Thanks for your understanding.