There are 18,162 blind pedestrians in San Francisco.
Blind people walking with a cane or guide dog ALWAYS have the legal right-of-way. Follow these rules to keep our streets safe:
- Always yield to white cane users.
- Stay off the crosswalk! We listen for cars.
- Don’t shout, honk or yell instructions to blind pedestrians. It’s confusing.
- Don’t block sidewalks, alleys or park across driveways.
- Stop at ALL crosswalks where pedestrians are present.
- Quiet car? Keep a safe distance from blind pedestrians.
- When you turn, always check for pedestrians.
- Trust our mobility skills. We’ll stay in our crosswalk as long as you stay in your lane!
Graphic: A Keith Haring-style illustration of two blind pedestrians with canes in a crosswalk. Figures are simple and colorful against an black background. A car is stopped a safe distance from the crosswalk at a stop sign.
Vision Zero Logo