Are You Ready for your First Paid Job?
The LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Seeks Young Blind Leaders
The Young Blind Leaders program provides a unique summer work experience for blind and visually impaired transition age youth between the ages of 16 and 22. This hands-on innovative program is designed to mentor and cultivate today’s emerging young blind leaders, strengthen understanding of professionalism and prepare them for future employment opportunities.
There are several benecial reasons to participate in the Young Blind Leaders Program.
Young adults who make the commitment to work receive:
- An hourly wage
- Valuable lessons on workplace etiquette and how to dress professionally
- How to efficiently manage job duties and work flow
- How to use high and low-tech blindness technology to get work done quickly
- Observe how other blind employees currently do their work successfully
- Learn the next steps from first job experience to long-term employment
- In addition to these concrete skills, the Young Blind Leaders will be exposed to professional networking opportunities both inside and out of the blind community.
A typical work week is 25 hours. The participants can gain work experience in areas such as retail, administrative, manufacturing, technology, e-sales and media.