POSITION: Nature Area Leader – Enchanted Hills Camp
REPORTS TO: Camp Director
Responsible for preparing and implementing educational and/or recreational program for blind and visually impaired children and adults. Coordinate and oversee camp nature/outdoor education.
AGENCY EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEES:
As employees, we should:
- Read, understand, and adhere to all Camp policies and procedures.
- Conduct ourselves in a professional manner on and off the job, knowing that we are representatives of LightHouse.
- Perform all job responsibilities.
- Maintain a positive and respectful attitude toward everyone.
- Communicate regularly and appropriately with our supervisors and colleagues.
- Demonstrate efficient time management and the ability to prioritize our work loads.
- Consistently report to work on time and ready to begin performing our assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Work productively.
Education: Some college preferred; certification or training in field related to education, recreation or relevant to special area.
Experience: Minimum one year in an educational setting; one year experience working with children/adults who are blind/visually impaired or disabled preferred.
Other: Ability to supervise support staff; neat, personable; excellent organizational skills; ability to live on camp premises entire summer; knowledge of rehabilitative process for persons who are disabled desired.
Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
Ability to obtain CPR & First Aid Certification.
Ability to lift up to 70 pounds.
Bi-lingual; American Sign Language or braille skills preferred.
- Teach and assist classes in area of nature and outdoor education.
- Act as Camp Counselor (see Camp Counselor job description), assisting campers with daily living needs through evenings, during mealtimes and special activities.
- Maintain supplies, cleanliness and safety in their area.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and report to staff on their area.
- Orient campers, Counselors and Volunteers to their area/classes at the beginning of every session.
- Schedule for every session a minimum of three classes, and teaching assistants from available Counselors and Volunteers.
- Assist with camper placements in classes and with living assignments as necessary.
- Evaluate volunteers, Counselors in Training (CIT) and co-counselors during summer.
- Other duties as required/assigned.
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer to all. Qualified applicants are considered regardless of age, race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, marital status, pregnancy, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, religion, military veteran status, political affiliation, height, weight or any other factor unrelated to the job. We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace free of harassment, in accordance with California law. Employees are expected to behave in accordance with these objectives.
All employees at Lighthouse are hired for an indefinite and unspecified duration and consequently, no employee is guaranteed employment for a specified length of time. Employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and LightHouse. Accordingly, either the employee or Lighthouse can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause (“employment at will”).
Please submit a cover letter and résumé as Word attachments (no .PDFs please), to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints we will only respond to complete submissions in which there is serious interest. Thank you for your understanding.