Sep 22 – Sep 24
College can be filled with momentous moments, both fun and nerve-wracking. As part of our Youth Employment Series, we've planned a weekend of tips and tricks for current college students and college-bound students. You won’t want to miss out on this life-changing weekend.
From Friday, September 22, through Sunday September 24, students will experience:
- Technology: Hands-on demonstrations on products from various local vendors during LightHouse’s 'Select the Right Tech’ eventon Saturday, September 23.
- Learning Ally: A presentation about Learning Ally’s amazing college success curriculum geared specifically toward college success and mentorship.
- Mentorship: Each YES Program emphasizes a Mentor Spotlight—offering YES students the opportunity to directly engage with a working individual who happens to be blind or visually impaired.
- Adjustment to Disability: All YES Students will have the opportunity to improve upon the positive outlook toward disability and appreciation to difference by participating in empowering self-determination activities, team-building exercises and setting high expectations for themselves and the blind and low vision community.
- Blindness Skills: YES Program provides students with the opportunity to practice alternative techniques in problem-solving, Structure Discovery travel methods, literacy and time/organizational/house-hold Management.
- Accessing Health and Sexuality: YES offers accessible courses emphasizing sex-positive approaches to social education to help youth develop personal values, self-esteem, a comfortable communication style and responsible decision-making skills.
If you are interested or have any questions about our college success weekend, please contact Jamey Gump, Youth Program Coordinator, by email at email@example.com, or by phone at 415-694-7372. The cost to attend is $950 for the entire weekend or $550 for the Saturday workshop. If you are a client of the Department of Rehabilitation, you should contact your counselor to discuss workshop attendance and authorizations.