All students, customers, visitors and staff are required to wear a mask at all of our sites.
Sep 19 – Sep 23
First In-Person Changing Vision Changing Life at San Francisco Lighthouse in three years, join us and learn.
Changing Vision Changing Life (CVCL) is an immersive learning experience, where you, the student who is new to a change in vision, can experience and learn more about what you can do now, moving forward toward the independence you want.
For one week, up to nine students will live in the LightHouse Student Residences in San Francisco and will have the perfect opportunity for meeting peers with shared experiences and teaching staff who have both personal and/or professional experience to start you on your journey.
The goal of immersion training is to provide you with a foundation of techniques, strategies, and tools to experience during the week and take home and practice. Areas of training during the week include:
- Orientation and Mobility (Discussion of Safe Travel, tools and beginning techniques)
- Independent Living Skills (Organization, tactile labeling, prep cooking skills, and more)
- Access Technology (Discussion and demonstration of adaptive tools, software, hardware and other devices that assist in independent communication, personal and home management)
- Facilitated discussion groups that explore challenges, changes, resources and opportunity
Who is Eligible to Participate?
This first in-person immersion week is specifically for low vision or blind persons 55 and older living in the following counties: San Francisco, San Mateo, Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Humboldt, Del Norte and Trinity.
Individuals interested in this learning opportunity are expected to actively participate for the five days/four nights and must be able to provide self-care (bathing, medication, dressing, maintain their own living space).
Because this training is focused on independent learning, family members/caregivers are not able attend.
There is no charge for the week-long training, all interested persons must complete an Intake with our LightHouse Rehabilitation Counselor.
Additionally, there are Covid-19 Requirements listed below. We currently have six (6) available training slots for this training week.
When is the training: Monday, September 19, 9:00 am (arrival) through Friday September 23, 2:00pm (departure)
Where is the training: San Francisco Lighthouse Student Residence & training, 1155 Market Street, 11th Floor
Time: Each day classes are scheduled from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM with a break for lunch and an evening discussion after dinner.
Accommodations: Students will have their own rooms in our secured residence. Bathroom facilities are shared ‘B&B Style’ (located near the rooms) with fully accessible showers.
Meals: Continental Breakfast, light lunch and dinner are provided – Vegetarian option is provided if noted upon Intake.
Transportation: While there is no transportation to and from San Francisco, the LightHouse is located above the Civic Center BART and easily accessed by Lyft/Uber/Taxi and Paratransit
COVD19 Requirements for in person attendance
- All Students must have completed all current COVD19 Vaccine/Booster and provide proof upon Intake.
- Students must provide a Negative Test result for COVD19 24 hours prior to Monday, September 19, 2022
- Students and staff will be required to wear masks in all public areas of the San Francisco Lighthouse
Who do I contact if I am interested in attending?
Debbie Bacon, Rehabilitation Counselor
Phone: Desk Voicemail: 530-400-0355
*Please leave your full name, phone/email, and a time of day you can be reached.