POSITION: Communications Associate
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, headquartered in downtown San Francisco, is looking for a full-time Communications Associate to fill a valued role in our growing organization.
Role Overview: We are seeking a Communications Associate to spearhead LightHouse’s communications to new and returning students, a variety of stakeholders and collaborators. Through external communications, press and web management the Communications Associate’s function is to increase the LightHouse’s connectivity to our community. The Communications Associate also maintains our lists of contacts and supports the Communications team in both online and in-person communications.
An energetic professional who can master the foundational tasks of maintaining our website, email marketing systems and our press contacts will find significant room for growth in our communications department. We use written pieces, video, audio and photography to tell the stories of our community, and the Communications Associate must be fluent in how to use today’s tools to push these stories to the people who need to hear them. Communications is a small, agile team where each individual is expected to think creatively, produce steadily, and be prepared to juggle deadlines. A key part of this job is to work to increase referrals and participation of blind people in LightHouse programs.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Focused on creating powerful written content
- Experience in non-profit marketing, journalism, public relations, sales, project management or a related field
- Experience with MS Office, Google Docs and Adobe Suite. Mailchimp experience is a plus
- Proficient at maintaining and managing websites on WordPress.org
- Know the blindness community – or if not, are fully prepared to research, get acquainted and interact
- Keep all aspects of the LightHouse web presence accurate, up-to-date and constantly improving (includes content on lighthouse-sf.org, holmanprize.org, enchantedhillsretreat.org and more)
- Write blog posts and marketing collateral which tells the story of what we do
- Create and issue press releases with targeted distribution
- Develop outreach plans to include list distribution, targeted publicity and influencer outreach for each campaign
- Create exciting original content, videos, graphics and more
- Collaborate closely with the LightHouse’s Social Media Specialist to ensure web and email content, social posts and accounts
- Work with the Development department to maximize outreach for fundraising and special events
- Constantly search for new media, publications, local groups and individuals in the blindness community and other industries to connect with the LightHouse
- Participate in quarterly planning meetings with all departments to learn about new announcements, program offerings and opportunities
- Other duties as assigned
Who We Are:
LightHouse has an audacious mission – to transform the lives of the 40,000 blind people in the greater Bay Area and beyond. We do this through tech design, disability advocacy, consultation, classes and community formation in San Francisco, our four satellite offices and Enchanted Hills Camp in Napa. We are a fun, fascinating, widely diverse, warm and friendly community. We work in downtown San Francisco in a 40,000 square foot state-of-the-art workspace renowned for its universal design, steps from Civic Center BART. LightHouse is working for nothing less than to change the future for blind people and the wider community.
Within a five-minute walk are the world headquarters for Twitter, Uber, Dolby, Zendesk and many other tech giants. Within three blocks are all of the principal building for Northern California’s federal, state and local government. Also in our neighborhood are many theaters, San Francisco Symphony and Opera, the Asian Art Museum and dozens of other key cultural anchors of the entire Bay Area.
The successful candidate will join a unique organization in which blind and sighted professionals work together at every level. Our governing Board of Directors, management and staff are all composed of roughly equal numbers of blind and sighted people, a parity unprecedented in our field.
Founded in 1902, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired provides skills, resources and community for the advancement of all individuals who are blind or have low vision. Our innovative programs have been featured in 60 Minutes, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal and beyond. The blind community comes to LightHouse to learn how to travel independently with a white cane, to rejoin the workforce, use accessible technology, and meet a community of mentors and peers. From unique tactile maps, to an unparalleled camp for blind campers, to a world prize for blind ambition, LightHouse offers programs unavailable elsewhere.
Learn About Us:
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1155 Market Street, 10th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
The LightHouse offers a rich package of benefits, including medical, vision and dental insurance. Employees are eligible for an employer-matched 401(k) plan and subsidized health club membership, among many other perks.
Depending On Experience; industry competitive.
How to Apply:
Please submit a LightHouse Employment Application, cover letter and résumé in word processing document attachments (no PDFs please), to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in the subject line.