We have resumed select face-to-face services for students by appointment and virtual classes continue to be offered. If you would like to discuss face-to-face services, please get in touch with your current LightHouse contact. All other inquiries can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at 415-431-1481.
LightHouse will be closed Monday, January 17 for Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Employment Immersion: August Virtual Workshop
August's workshop runs weekdays from August 3 to 28.
There IS a job market! Job seekers who are blind and have low vision are in demand to work remotely. Let LightHouse support you on your pathway to employment in these challenging times.
Our award-winning Employment Immersion program is now available virtually. Now is the time to join us via the Zoom conferencing platform. The program begins the first Monday of every month and runs each weekday. This comprehensive month-long training is specifically designed for people who are blind and have low vision. We are committed to providing group and individual guidance from the fundamentals of job search, to the complexities of disclosure of one’s disability with pride and confidence, to instruction on job search techniques, to honing interview skills. Most importantly, this program focuses on the participant’s individual job goals.
To learn more about this exciting opportunity, please contact the team through email: email@example.com.
Yoga: Alignment Flow - Online Class
Yoga: Alignment Flow, Mondays 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
LightHouse yoga instructor Kimm Ropicky knows that now, more than ever, it’s vital to our health and wellbeing to get some movement into our lives. Kimm is extending her online class offerings via her private practice to the LightHouse community per the following instructions. Some knowledge of yoga is helpful, though not necessary. Joining the Zoom meeting with your video enabled allows Kimm to provide more detailed feedback, particularly in the event you ask for clarification.
What You Need to Know:
• Be Early--Please join the class 10-15 minutes prior to allow time to resolve technical issues.
• Duration--All classes are 60 minutes in length.
• Donations--Class is donation-based. Please pay what you can. No one will be turned away for a lack of funds. Recommended donations $10-$20. Please consider showing your support via one of these platforms: Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=31997465
A password Required--In order to create a safe space for connection with our community, a password for each meeting is required. To obtain, please do either of the following: Email: Kimmropickyyoga@gmail.com or Follow/DM on Instagram: @yogawithkimm
• Registration will end one hour prior to class. Any messages up to an hour before class will receive response after class.
• Consult your Doctor--Please consult with your doctor before practicing, to be mindful of any conditions you may have and how this practice may impact you.
• Class Description--Yoga: Alignment Flow Monday's and Friday's from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. This class is recommended for beginners.
• Props strongly recommended: 2 Blocks or 1 chair, a strap or a hand towel and a blanket (like a throw blanket) and 1-2 balls, like tennis balls or lacrosse balls.
• To join please click Meeting URL and enter password obtained by pre-registering.
The Business of Blindness Phone Chat: Make Coffee and Call Mike Cole
What does it really mean to be blind or low vision? Mike Cole, a veteran of all things blindness, will lead this call-in forum to discuss the many day-to-day ins-and-outs of blindness—from daily living in your home environment to navigating the vast expanse of bureaucracies. There's always a lively crowd sharing their own experiences, so make a cup of coffee (or tea), sit in your favorite chair and call in to chat the business of blindness.
For more information including dial in details, contact Serena Olsen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-694-7316.
Get Moving: O&M for independent travel: Session II
Are you new to cane travel? Want to learn more about tactile maps and GPS? We’re offering a comprehensive six-week online course in Orientation & Mobility (O&M) to help you travel independently. Courses are taught by Certified Orientation & Mobility Specialists.
There will be two sessions:
Session I: For those working with their state’s vocational rehabilitation department or commission for the blind (available in all 50 states).
When: July 28 through September 3, Tuesdays and Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to noon Pacific.
Instructors: Robert Alminana, Jennifer Huey
Session II: For those who are 55 and over, who aren’t in a vocational rehabilitation plan and living in Northern California.
When: Date: August 17 through September 28, Mondays and Wednesdays 10:00 a.m. to noon Pacific. No class on Labor Day, September 7.
Instructors: Danette Davis and Chris Williams
Who qualifies for this course?
- State Department of Rehabilitation or Commission for the Blind Consumers in all 50 states.
- Department of Veteran Affairs consumers
- People 55 and over
What do you need to take this course?
Solid internet access and be able to access Zoom via phone and/or video and have computer skills to receive and read articles, watch videos and/or listen to podcasts.
What is this course about?
This is a comprehensive six-week, twelve-class course using the Zoom conferencing platform to introduce students to foundational O&M concepts, skills, and current technologies for safe, independent travel. Participants will meet twice a week for a total instruction time of 24 hours.
The course covers O&M fundamentals including the benefits of O&M skills for travel and employment; sensory, spatial and environmental awareness; orientation strategies and skills; tactile graphics and TMAP; human guide; protective techniques; long cane basics; street crossing sequence; intersection analysis, public transit and trip planning, introduction to electronic travel devices and GPS and wayfinding techniques.
Who would benefit from the course?
- People who are blind or have low vision who are new to O&M.
- People who have had a recent change in vision.
- People who haven’t used their O&M skills in a while.
- People looking for an O&M refresher.
How will participants benefit?
- Participants will acquire strong foundational skills that are critical for safe, independent travel that will help them gain and retain employment.
- Participants will receive structured, organized instruction that will prepare them for subsequent individualized training with a certified O&M specialist.
How does the course fit in with consumer’s overall O&M training program?
- This will be the first of two parts in a combined O&M training curriculum.
- The second part will be an individualized, face-to-face, hands-on learning and practice instruction program when public safety mandates allow. (Available to consumers in the LightHouse training area only.)
What is the cost of this course?
Session I: $1,165.00 (990.00 for the course + $175.00 for materials
Session II: Course is provided at no charge to people living in San Francisco, San Mateo, Alameda, Marin, Humboldt, Del Norte and Trinity counties. If you live outside those areas, the cost is $990.00. Scholarships are available. Course materials for the 12 weeks are $50 and may be waived based on scholarship availability.
What materials will be used during the course?
- Bump dots, mixed
- Tactile Maps (TMAP)
- Intersection map set
- Wikki Stix
- Additional materials supplied by LightHouse for The Blind: tactile activity sheets; rubber bands; signature guide; Kanga-Pak; sleep shade.
How to register for one of these courses?
Virtual Yoga with Amber
Join us every Monday at 2:00 p.m. for a virtual yoga class where Amber will guide you through a full vinyasa flow to keep you healthy and strong. This class is for people who have done yoga before and have a general idea of the basic poses. For call-in details please email Amber at email@example.com.
The events for the upcoming week are read aloud on our event hotline every Friday, which can be accessed by calling (415)694-7325.
For more information about visiting the Adaptations Store, head to our shop page.
The LightHouse is scent-free. Please abstain from wearing colognes, perfumes, or other scented products. Additionally, coffee must be securely lidded at all times and citrus should not be peeled on the premises. Thanks for supporting our efforts to respect chemical sensitivities.