AARP Tax-Aide Program (in-person)
LightHouse is again partnering with AARP’s Tax-Aide Program to provide free tax filing support at 1155 Market Street this tax filing season. AARP will be at LightHouse HQ on Mondays and Thursdays from February 5 – April 11, 2024 and Wednesdays February 21 and 28 & March 13 and 27.
Appointments are required and they can be made for 9:30 am, 11 am, and 12:30 pm. Appointments can be scheduled by leaving a voicemail at 415-694-7648 or completing the AARP Tax-Aide at LightHouse RSVP form.
This is open to anyone who needs support filing their federal and California state tax returns for the tax years 2023, 2022, 2021, and 2020. (note: each year requires a separate appointment and we will only be completing 2023 tax returns in February). There is no requirement based on age, income level, or San Francisco residency.
Please bring with you:
- Your tax paperwork you’ve received in the mail
- A copy of your social security card
- A copy of your photo ID
- If you are eligible for a refund and would like it deposited directly into your account, please bring a voided check. If you do not have a voided check, your refund check will be mailed to you via USPS.
Out of Scope:
If any of these situations apply to you, you may be out of scope for AARP. If you think that you are out of scope, please feel free to call us so that we can confirm.
- If you do not have health insurance, we cannot prepare your tax return. Apologies, but this is due to the California mandate that requires everybody to have health insurance, which results in tax complications.
- If you have tax deductible contributions to an HSA account, we cannot prepare your tax return. This is due to the differences in Federal and California tax law and is complicated.
- If you have rental income, we cannot prepare your tax return.
- If you are in a civil union or married filing separately, we cannot prepare your tax return. This is due to the differences in Federal and California tax law.
- If you’re self-employed, and want to declare your health insurance premiums as an expense, and are receiving premium tax credits (via CoveredCA), we cannot prepare your tax return.
- If you have rental property, we cannot prepare your return.
- If you have a dependent child with unearned income subject to the “Kiddie Tax”, we cannot prepare your return.
- If you are self-employed and, due to the pandemic, you deferred paying your Self-Employment tax, have a PPP loan, or took Covid sick leave, we cannot prepare your return.
- If you own a business with employees and/or inventory, we cannot prepare your return. You would be wise to hire a professional tax preparer.
- If you have hobby income or not for profit activity, we cannot prepare your return.
There are some specific requirements and not all taxes will be able to be completed by AARP volunteers; these will be addressed when the appointments are made.
If you have any questions, please call 415-694-7648 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
CA Primaries: Complete Your Ballot! (in-person)
On Tuesday, March 5, California will hold the Presidential Primary Election.
We know that voting is required to be accessible but does not always achieve that. In order to support you in voting, we are holding two days when you can come to LightHouse’s San Francisco office and have a LightHouse volunteer help you in completing your mail-in ballot.
The two drop-in dates are:
- Wednesday, February 21 | 1 – 3 pm
- Thursday, February 29 | 1 – 3 pm
Please call us at 415-694-7638 to:
- Register for this event. (This is not required, but is preferred)
- Inquire about meeting in a different Bay Area location if these dates or locations do not work for you
- Inquire about having a LightHouse volunteer accompany you to the poll on Election Day
The Blind Telephone Network (dial-in)
Announcing the Blind Telephone Network 2024 program
The Blind Telephone network, originally founded by blind veterans, now is pleased to welcome all blind and low vision folks to join in phone calls will be held on Tuesday and Thursday of each week.
Tuesdays programs are what we call chit chat and chew the fat. During these sessions, most topics are acceptable; however, we refrain from discussing politics and religion. Prayer requests are acceptable, but will not be done during the call. This is a time for socializing, and sharing our experiences with blindness, in order to help others develop independence and self-confidence.
On Thursdays, we emphasize education, travel, technology, history, entertainment, and innovative role-models, etc.. These sessions will feature presenters on such topics as: Lewis and Clark expedition, Mt. Rushmore, railroad history and the mob museum in Las Vegas, Nevada.We encourage suggestions for topics or locations from our participants.
All sessions last for one (1) hour and start on time.
The call in number is: 605-475-5620, and the access code is: 3789127#. If you plan to save these numbers in your contacts, I recommend inserting two (2) commas between the main number and the access code.
Those wishing to receive an e-mail reminder for upcoming sessions or links provided by the presenter, should:
Send an e-mail to Doc Eudaly at email@example.com. Please put your full name, phone number, and email address in the body of your e-mail.
Calls for 2024 will begin on Tuesday, January 9.
For Thursday, January 11, our initial program will be on the FDR Memorial in Washington, DC. We hope to hear you on these free telephone calls, where you can both learn and contribute
On behalf of the founding members,
Douglas “Doc” Eudaly, PH,D
The events for the upcoming week are read aloud on our event hotline every Friday, which can be accessed by calling 415-694-7325. For more information about visiting the Adaptations Store, head to our shop page.
The LightHouse is scent-free. Please abstain from wearing colognes, perfumes, or other scented products. Additionally, coffee must be securely lidded at all times and citrus should not be peeled on the premises. Thanks for supporting our efforts to respect chemical sensitivities!