AARP Tax-Aide Program (in-person)
LightHouse is again partnering with AARP’s Tax-Aide Program to provide free tax filing support at 1155 Market Street this tax filing season. AARP will be at LightHouse HQ on Mondays and Thursdays from February 5 – April 11, 2024 and Wednesdays February 21 and 28 & March 13 and 27.
Appointments are required and they can be made for 9:30 am, 11 am, and 12:30 pm. Appointments can be scheduled by leaving a voicemail at 415-694-7648 or completing the AARP Tax-Aide at LightHouse RSVP form.
This is open to anyone who needs support filing their federal and California state tax returns for the tax years 2023, 2022, 2021, and 2020. (note: each year requires a separate appointment and we will only be completing 2023 tax returns in February). There is no requirement based on age, income level, or San Francisco residency.
Please bring with you:
- Your tax paperwork you’ve received in the mail
- A copy of your social security card
- A copy of your photo ID
- If you are eligible for a refund and would like it deposited directly into your account, please bring a voided check. If you do not have a voided check, your refund check will be mailed to you via USPS.
Out of Scope:
If any of these situations apply to you, you may be out of scope for AARP. If you think that you are out of scope, please feel free to call us so that we can confirm.
- If you do not have health insurance, we cannot prepare your tax return. Apologies, but this is due to the California mandate that requires everybody to have health insurance, which results in tax complications.
- If you have tax deductible contributions to an HSA account, we cannot prepare your tax return. This is due to the differences in Federal and California tax law and is complicated.
- If you have rental income, we cannot prepare your tax return.
- If you are in a civil union or married filing separately, we cannot prepare your tax return. This is due to the differences in Federal and California tax law.
- If you’re self-employed, and want to declare your health insurance premiums as an expense, and are receiving premium tax credits (via CoveredCA), we cannot prepare your tax return.
- If you have rental property, we cannot prepare your return.
- If you have a dependent child with unearned income subject to the “Kiddie Tax”, we cannot prepare your return.
- If you are self-employed and, due to the pandemic, you deferred paying your Self-Employment tax, have a PPP loan, or took Covid sick leave, we cannot prepare your return.
- If you own a business with employees and/or inventory, we cannot prepare your return. You would be wise to hire a professional tax preparer.
- If you have hobby income or not for profit activity, we cannot prepare your return.
There are some specific requirements and not all taxes will be able to be completed by AARP volunteers; these will be addressed when the appointments are made.
If you have any questions, please call 415-694-7648 or email email@example.com
Stress Reduction & Meditation (online)
We offer a series of short, meditation-based practices each Wednesday morning for relaxation and stress reduction. The group is appropriate for beginners and advanced practitioners, and instruction is provided in all aspects of the practice. Instructor Ellen Simpson will be leading. Everyone is welcome as little or often as they like. Dial in, find a comfortable position, breathe deeply, clear your head, and de-stress.
Limited Series: Seated Tai Chi for the Blind and Visually Impaired (online)
This is a BORP Adaptive Sports program in partnership with Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired. Join Sifu Ralf Somack for this free, 6-week online class specifically designed for the blind and low vision community. This is a pilot program and participant feedback is important. This 45-minute class will be taught seated. Tai Chi is a set of slow, gentle exercises and a form of moving meditation practiced for relaxation, health, exercise, and self -defense. In this program, you will learn the first 24 movements of the Sun style system. Sun Style is particularly well suited for people new to Tai Chi as it is easy to perform and it contains powerful Qigong influences that calm the mind and promote deep breathing.
CA Primaries: Complete Your Ballot! (in-person)
On Tuesday, March 5, California will hold the Presidential Primary Election.
We know that voting is required to be accessible but does not always achieve that. In order to support you in voting, we are holding two days when you can come to LightHouse’s San Francisco office and have a LightHouse volunteer help you in completing your mail-in ballot.
The two drop-in dates are:
- Wednesday, February 21 | 1 – 3 pm
- Thursday, February 29 | 1 – 3 pm
Please call us at 415-694-7638 to:
- Register for this event. (This is not required, but is preferred)
- Inquire about meeting in a different Bay Area location if these dates or locations do not work for you
- Inquire about having a LightHouse volunteer accompany you to the poll on Election Day
Gratitude VIBES (online)
Gratitude-VIBES are Visually Impaired Blind Energizing Sessions. Please join us for an inspiring series of student presentations, individual check-ins, and gratitude-closers.
February 7: This Little Light of Mine: bring a non-flammable light source such as a battery-operated candle, lamp, or flashlight.
February 14: Comfort Food for Valentines
February 21: Sounds of Appreciation - Let the melodies of gratitude play!
February 28: The Four Agreements: # 4, “Always Do Your Best”
Goalball with BORP (in-person)
Bay Are Outreach and Recreation Program (BORP) Goalball Practice is a fun way to get exercise and meet new people. The practice is designed for beginners and experienced players. If you do not have your own equipment, we can provide you with both elbow and knee pads and eyeshades.
When: Wednesdays, from 6:30pm - 9:00pm
Where: The gym is located at 2100 Browning St. Berkeley
For more details, please contact Brandon Young firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note - Proof of full vaccination is required and will be checked for new participants.
The events for the upcoming week are read aloud on our event hotline every Friday, which can be accessed by calling 415-694-7325. For more information about visiting the Adaptations Store, head to our shop page.
The LightHouse is scent-free. Please abstain from wearing colognes, perfumes, or other scented products. Additionally, coffee must be securely lidded at all times and citrus should not be peeled on the premises. Thanks for supporting our efforts to respect chemical sensitivities!