POSITION: Arts and Crafts Program Area Leader
REPORTS TO: Camp Director
WC CLASS: Camp
The Arts and Crafts Program Area Leader is responsible for preparing and implementing safe, fun, and appropriate programs for the blind and visually impaired children and adults. The Leader will coordinate and oversee all camp arts and crafts activities.
Examples of Activities include: Ceramics, jewelry-making, drawing, painting, nature crafts, cooking, leather crafts, tactile crafts, puppets, tie-dying and papermaking.
AGENCY EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEES:
As employees, we should:
- Read, understand, and adhere to all Agency policies and procedures.
- Conduct ourselves in a professional manner on and off the job, knowing that we are representatives of LightHouse.
- Perform all job responsibilities.
- Maintain a positive and respectful attitude toward everyone.
- Communicate regularly and appropriately with our supervisors, and colleagues within our own departments.
- Demonstrate efficient time management and the ability to prioritize our assignments.
- Consistently report to work on time, and be ready to begin performing our assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Work productively.
- Continue to learn and communicate a blindness-positive philosophy based on best current practices in the field.
Education or equivalent: Must be 18 years of age or older. High school graduate/some college education preferred:
Experience: Previous work in a camp, school or community service setting preferred. Experience in and knowledge of arts and crafts instruction. Current First Aid and CPR certifications.
Other (preferred): Minimum one year in an educational setting; experience working with persons who are blind/visually impaired or disabled; experience supervising support staff; knowledge of Braille and/or American Sign Language; knowledge of the rehabilitation process for disabled persons.
- Plan, direct, and supervise a safe and fun arts and crafts program
- Teach/lead classes and activities in arts and crafts areas
- Schedule a minimum of three classes for each session
- Schedule teaching assistants from available counselors and volunteers
- Evaluate the success of the arts and crafts programs and activities
- Ensure that camp staff and campers know and follow safety procedures
- Train staff in their responsibilities in the arts and crafts areas
- Assist counselors with the development of art kits for cabins or special events
- Manage the physical facilities and equipment in the arts and crafts program areas
- Set up arts and crafts areas
- Teach and monitor proper use of equipment
- Conduct a daily check of the area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair
- Ensure that the arts and crafts program area equipment and supplies are inventoried and steps taken to replace them in a timely manner
- Enthusiastically participate in all camp activities, planning and leading those as assigned
- Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other camp functions
- Assist with camper placements in classes and with living assignments when necessary
- Act as a camp counselor when necessary
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be willing to live on camp premises
- Must be able to lift 70 pounds
- Ability to enforce safety and emergency procedures
- Ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situation requiring first aid
- Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness or injury)
- Possess the endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers
Evaluate volunteers, counselors in training (CIT), and counselors throughout the summer.
Equal opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
All employees at LightHouse are hired for an indefinite and unspecified duration and consequently, no employee is guaranteed employment for a specified length of time. Employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and LightHouse. Accordingly, either the employee or LightHouse can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause (“employment at will”).