POSITION: Accounts Payable/Cash Receipts Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Controller
WC CLASS: Clerical
Founded in San Francisco in 1902, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is one of the most progressive blindness agencies in the world. A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, LightHouse’s mission is to promote the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. We do this through teaching, consulting, community building and advocacy in the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond.
The LightHouse is currently in a period of growth, with more than 100 employees and an annual budget approaching $14M. In addition to direct services and blindness skills training, we invest in new technology, consult on design for blind consumers, and work to de-stigmatize blindness around the world.
We are seeking an additional team member to expand our three-person Finance and Accounting group operating out of our state-of-the-art headquarters on Market Street in downtown San Francisco. You should be attracted to working in a mission-based organization where the employees are passionate about their work and care about making a difference in people’s lives. The Accounts Payable/Cash Receipts Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of Accounts Payable and Cash Receipts processing, and helping other team members close the books and prepare financial reports on a monthly basis. This position is a steward of the organization’s money at all times; you should enjoy working with numbers but the position is also very much about communicating effectively with fellow employees, service providers, and agency partners to secure appropriate documentation that enables us to meet our obligations in a timely manner. It is also about being organized and keeping track of that documentation, paying attention to detail, and taking pride in your accuracy.
Education: Accounting degree preferred but not required.
Experience: Two years of accounts payable/cash receipts experience preferred.
Other: Ability to work both independently as well as with others as a team. Strong interpersonal skills essential to providing responsive customer service to co-workers and external parties. Knowledge of basic accounting principles and practices. Comfortable with accounting software and skilled in preparing and navigating spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Follow internal accounts payable (AP) and cash receipts (CR) policies and procedures. Routinely explain those policies and procedures to other employees.
- Monitor employee use of agency expense account and project coding for consistency and accuracy in classifying agency expenses in the financial statements.
- Enter all agency disbursement transactions in accounting software and print all checks
- Perform accounting functions in support of other departments as they relate to the maintenance of AP & CR.
- Maintain all AP vendor files and CR documents.
- Maintain Payable Accounts, Cash Receipts account schedules.
- Handle petty cash disbursements to employees.
- Assist with organizing departmental files and periodic archiving.
- Respond to auditor requests for data during the annual financial statement audit and other governmental reporting requirements.
- Prepare year-end 1099 and 1096 forms.
- Cross-train with the General Ledge Accountant on specific tasks to be able to provide backup support.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Equal opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation. We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace.
All employees at LightHouse are hired for an indefinite and unspecified duration and consequently, no employee is guaranteed employment for a specified length of time. Employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and LightHouse. Accordingly, either the employee or LightHouse can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause (“employment at will”).
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All attachments must be formatted as Word Documents or accessible PDFs. No un-described image files please.