POSITION: Part-Time Access Technology Instructor
REPORTS TO: Director of Access Technology
STATUS: Non – Exempt
WC CLASS: Teacher
The Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is seeking a part time Access Technology Instructor in our Access Technology department. The AT department trains 300 students each year on the use of screen readers and magnification software, and partners with dozens of companies to ensure apps, websites and products are accessible to blind and visually impaired users. We’re seeking a skilled instructor to provide quality training on magnification technology to our low vision students.
The Access Technology instructor is responsible for providing technology training to blind and visually impaired students both one-on-one, and in group workshops. Instructors work with each student to define learning goals, present material in a clear and comprehensive manner and document instruction in the Lighthouse database. Instructors stay current on the latest access technology, and the accessibility of mainstream apps, in order to serve as a technology resource for Lighthouse students and community members.
This position may be for you if:
• You keep pace with the latest in mainstream and access technology.
• You’re interested in the interactions between people and the technologies they use.
• You enjoy spending significant parts of your workday interacting with students.
• You enjoy explaining technical concepts to others.
AGENCY EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEES:
As employees, we should:
• Read, understand, and adhere to all Agency policies and procedures.
• Conduct ourselves in a professional manner on and off the job, knowing that we are representatives of LightHouse.
• Perform all job responsibilities.
• Maintain a positive and respectful attitude toward everyone.
• Communicate regularly and appropriately with our supervisors, and colleagues within our own departments.
• Demonstrate efficient time management and the ability to prioritize our assignments.
• Consistently report to work on time, and be ready to begin performing our assigned duties and responsibilities.
• Work productively.
• Continue to learn and communicate a blindness-positive philosophy based on best current practices in the field.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in education, Rehabilitation Teaching, Computer Science, or comparable degree/experience.
Experience: In depth knowledge of at least 2 of the following operating systems:
• Mac OS
Advanced user of magnification software for desktop and mobile operating systems.
In depth knowledge of technologies used for information access including:
• Efficiently navigating websites,
• Using apps and software to access printed material.
• Using GPS apps for navigation.
• Demonstrated ability to create lesson plans.
• High level of emotional intelligence to relate to students at all levels of adjustment to blindness.
• Demonstrated ability to convey technical knowledge in a clear and approachable manner, ability to learn new technologies from documentation and tutorials.
Skills: Fluency in a second language in addition to English.
• Work with students to define goals and plans for technology training,
• Deliver one on one technology training to blind and visually impaired students on a variety of technologies,
• Design and deliver workshops on current technology topics in collaboration with the rest of the access technology team,
• Keep accurate and timely records of student progress in the Lighthouse database,
• Other duties as assigned.
Able to operate Standard office equipment
Regularly lift and/or move objects 10 – 25 lbs. independently
Frequently required to stand, walk and stoop
• LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer to all. Qualified applicants are considered regardless of age, race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, marital status, pregnancy, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, religion, military veteran status, political affiliation, height, weight or any other factor unrelated to the job.
• We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace free of harassment, in accordance with California law. Employees are expected to behave in accordance with these objectives.
• All LightHouse employees are hired for an indefinite and unspecified duration and consequently, no employee is guaranteed employment for a specified length of time. Employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and LightHouse. Accordingly, either the employee or LightHouse can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause (“employment at will”).
Send your resume and cover letter as word attachments (no PDFs please), to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in the subject line. Due to time constraints, we will only respond to complete submissions in which there is serious interest; thanks for your understanding.