POSITION: Senior Accountant
REPORTS TO: Controller
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
The LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is looking for a service-oriented Senior Accountant to join the LightHouse team, in the heart of downtown San Francisco.
With over 100+ employees and an annual budget of $20M, the LightHouse has the resources and imagination to help change the lives of the blind and low-vision population of the greater bay area and beyond. One of San Francisco’s oldest and best-known philanthropies, we manage our operations in our brand-new, state-of-the-art headquarters on Market Street. Here we coordinate students, volunteers, teachers, families, tech, and a caring staff, to design and build new ways in which to help people with visual impairments.
The LightHouse welcomes nontraditional applicants and applicants with diverse backgrounds and experience.
Education or equivalent:
- BS degree in Accounting preferred, although relevant work experience may also be considered
- A strong, working knowledge of GAAP accounting principles and practices is essential
- A minimum of three years’ experience working in an accounting department.
- High-level MS Excel skills are mandatory
- A demonstrated history of working collaboratively with a variety of individuals while providing excellent customer service, both to internal and external customers
- Proficiency with the balance of MS Office Suite, particularly Outlook and Word, are also important
- Experience with the use of Financial Edge software a plus
- Superior communication
- Defined organizational skills, and the capacity to prioritize and meet multiple deadlines with minimal direction
- Work experience within a nonprofit environment is helpful
Must be able to: Carry or transport 20lbs; sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time; operate standard office equipment; travel independently.
Senior Accountant position reports to the Lighthouse for The Blind Controller. Job responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Prepares monthly and quarterly contract invoices to Lighthouse funders including federal, state, county, and city grantors. Works closely with Lighthouse Program Directors to develop contract budgets, compile requisite data for invoices, and submit invoices per contractual deadlines. Monitors variances from budget projections and generates budget modifications for grantors as needed. Prepares monthly and quarterly journal entries to record agency accounts receivable and revenue in the agency General Ledger.
- Manages agency Accounts Receivable, preparing accounting entries in the agency General Ledger to reflect payments received, following up on variances from invoiced amounts, reviewing accounts receivable aging and following up with appropriate agency staff and/or external customers on past due balances.
- Prepares agency bank account reconciliations monthly and other Balance Sheet account reconciliations as needed.
- Generates quarterly National Industries for the Blind report, compiling factory payroll and benefits information from the agency payroll system and product sales data by distribution channel.
- Other duties as assigned.
LightHouse is an equal opportunity employer. The LightHouse’s Equal Opportunity statement can be found here within our careers page on our website: https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/
Compensation: Depending on Experience; “industry competitive”
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter and résumé as Word attachments (no. PDFs please), to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints, we will only respond to complete submissions in which there is serious interest, thanks for your understanding.