POSITION: Press, Social Media and Events Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Director of Development
WC CLASS: Clerical
Founded in San Francisco in 1902, the LightHouse’s purpose is to promote the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or visually impaired. The LightHouse is currently in a period of growth, increasing our capacity to serve more low-vision and blind clients. We seek a dynamic professional to help us grow our individual and institutional support.
This is a full-time (100% FTE) position. Approximately one-third time (.033 FTE) will be spent doing outreach to secure new support and cultivate donors through social media and other electronic communications. Approximately one-third time (.033 FTE) will be dedicated to press to improve LightHouse media exposure and advocacy to further the rights of blind and low-vision people: Approximately one-third time (.033 FTE) will be coordinating events, both Lighthouse fundraising and cultivation events and assisting LightHouse supporters in implementing events to benefit the LightHouse. This position also performs other development duties as requested.
Education: Bachelor or graduate degree.
Experience: Three years of experience in non-profit fundraising, event coordination, and/or public relations. Familiarity with blindness and/or broader disability issues is a plus.
Skills: Superior written communication. Excellent organizational skills with capability to prioritize and meet multiple deadlines with minimal oversight. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, FaceBook and Twitter. Experience with WordPress preferred.
Other: Dedication to learning the latest trends and practices in the blindness field, including attention to the broad array of blindness groups, and the history of the blindness and disability movement. Personal initiative; curiosity about people, a sense of humor and a strong team-oriented style. Enthusiasm for LightHouse services and the transformative effect we have on the lives of individuals who are blind or have low vision.
- Curate daily content on social media channels and LightHouse blog to keep them fresh, inviting, interactive and informative.
- Produce a media plan to increase LightHouse media exposure.
- Create compelling press releases and do targeted distributions.
- Plan and implement online appeals, listserv postings, crowd-funding campaigns and other online outreach and fundraising.
- Coordinate all details of special events, including design of electronic and print invitations; volunteer management; securing sponsorships and event logistics.
- Develop and manage revenue and expense budgets for events.
- Organize and oversee event timelines, vendors, and venues.
- Occasional weekend and evening assignments.
Equal opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
Please submit cover letter and / or résumé as Word attachments (no PDFs, please) to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles at this time; thank you.