POSITION: Passenger Bus Driver
REPORTS TO: Director, Enchanted Hill Camp & Retreat
JOB PURPOSE: LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, seeks an occasional passenger bus driver to pilot a 29-passenger bus within the San Francisco Bay Area. Although destinations will vary, the bus is stored at Enchanted Hills Camp in Napa – which will be the starting and ending point for most trips.
AGENCY EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEES:
As employees, we should:
- Read, understand, and adhere to all Agency policies and procedures.
- Conduct ourselves in a professional manner on and off the job, knowing that we are representatives of LightHouse.
- Perform all job responsibilities.
- Maintain a positive and respectful attitude toward everyone.
- Communicate regularly and appropriately with our supervisors, and colleagues within our own departments.
- Demonstrate efficient time management and the ability to prioritize our assignments.
- Consistently report to work on time, and be ready to begin performing our assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Work productively.
- Continue to learn and communicate a blindness-positive philosophy based on best current practices in the field.
Education or equivalent: Class B California driver license with a passenger endorsement; exemplary driving record; current personal auto insurance; scheduling flexibility; high school diploma or equivalent.
Experience: An MVR will be requested, and applicant must be insurable through LightHouse’s insurance carrier. Previous certification in a Defensive Driving (or similar) course is appreciated.
Other: Current CPR/first aid certification is desired. An ability to deal effectively and patiently with others is essential, as is the ability to understand and follow written and oral instruction. Attentive, courteous, drug and alcohol-free driving is absolutely crucial.
- Driving and parking an Agency-owned bus to various destinations as designated by LightHouse;
- Assisting passengers with loading and offloading; should be able to lift at least 50lbs;
- Ability to correctly secure wheelchairs and other mobility devices;
- Stopping at appropriate rest areas as needed, for passengers and guide dogs;
- Observing all state and federal traffic laws;
- Conduct a maintenance check including lights, brakes, steering, tire pressure, radiator and oil levels prior to departure;
- Obtain necessary repairs and maintenance work for vehicles as needed;
- Fuel bus as needed, and maintain interior and exterior of the vehicle;
- Additional responsibilities may include generating and maintaining a variety of records, such as time at each stop, purpose of trip, number of passengers per day, mileage, and vehicle maintenance;
- Working knowledge of the rules and regulations involved in the safe and efficient operation of automotive equipment;
- Offer verbal descriptions of terrain and observed hazards to bus passengers;
- Other duties may also be assigned.
Equal opportunity to all regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, or sexual orientation.
All employees at LightHouse are hired for an indefinite and unspecified duration and consequently, no employee is guaranteed employment for a specified length of time. Employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and LightHouse. Accordingly, either the employee or LightHouse can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause (“employment at will”).
Please submit cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org in Word format, thank you.