POSITION: JANITORIAL SUPERVISOR
REPORTS TO: Facilities Manager
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, headquartered in downtown San Francisco, is looking for a Full-time Janitorial Supervisor.
Under the Facility Manager’s supervision, the Janitorial Supervisor oversees the coordination of staff and custodial operations on floors 1-11 of the 1155 LightHouse Building, as well as the common building areas that include the garage. In addition, this position provides support to the Facilities and Events departments.
The Janitorial Supervisor will assist with the configuration and tear-down of rental spaces, maintain student residences, report safety concerns, maintain a clean and orderly janitorial cage, maintain the supply closet space, and assist with coordination as well as the performance of special janitorial projects (such as carpet cleaning and stair maintenance, etc.).
The main work site for this position is at the LightHouse Building in San Francisco. However, the Janitorial Supervisor may collaborate on janitorial concerns and the use of satellite space for other locations as needed per Manager’s request.
Some college experience preferred, high school diploma or GED required.
2-4 years of supervisorial experience with a minimum of 5 years of hands-on janitorial experience. Certification preferred.
Experience in waste management (landfill, compost, recycling), and custodial or grounds maintenance.
Previous experience overseeing custodial work, maintaining a high standard of safety, cleanliness, and efficiency.
A demonstrated history of performing minor maintenance repairs in restrooms and building floors, i.e. replace light bulbs, correct placement of ceiling tile, etc.
This position must be customer service-centric with an understanding of LightHouse Mission Statements and our Core Values.
- Knowledge of basic computer and technology skills
- Preferred experience with Calendaring, Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, as well other Software Applications
- Strong organization and prioritization/time management skills that ensure timely completion of assigned projects
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under constantly changing priorities and demands
- Ability to lift and transport up to 30 pounds regularly, with occasional transporting up to approximately 50 pounds may be required
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing or walking for long periods of time (four hours or more)
- Ability to safely and properly use cleaning tools, chemicals, and equipment
- Solid physical endurance sufficient for occasional prolonged standing, bending, stooping, and stretching
- Manual dexterity sufficient to manipulate equipment
- Ability and willingness to work with exposure to environmental conditions
Janitorial Supervisor duties during the shift scheduled are the following:
- The Janitorial Supervisor, during this post-COVID environment will be responsible for the following:
- Will collaborate with Facilities to create and implement virus sanitization measures
- Training staff in anti-viral techniques
- Scheduling frequent and repeated touch-point cleanings at the direction of the supervisor
- The Janitorial Supervisor will be expected to work occasional evenings to observe and supervise evening staff. In addition, the Supervisor will be expected to work on occasional weekends and work overtime as needed
- The JS will keep inventory and oversee the organization of janitorial supplies in cages and closets
- The Janitorial Supervisor will coordinate all staff work schedules including approving all vacation and sick time as well as time sheet corrections and approvals on ADP for each pay period
- The JS will coordinate all staff meetings and trainings with supervision from the Facility Manager
- The Supervisor will respond and attend to any janitorial request and work orders
- The Janitorial Supervisor will remain in direct communication with the janitorial team, Management, as well as Security and Property Management through telephone calls, texts and /or email
- The JS is expected to collaborate with Management on ways to implement procedures, improve janitorial operations, inventory, safety, and workflow
- This Supervisor will work closely with the building engineer to perform miscellaneous building maintenance requests
- The JS will remain in compliance with all safety and security policies and procedures
- The Janitorial Supervisor will oversee all exterior sweeping, and power washing maintenance to ensure proper upkeep of assets
- This positions responsibilities are inclusive of all the basic janitorial tasks such as cleaning restrooms, kitchens, main lobby, maintain drinking water stations, empty trash, cleaning trash areas, vacuuming, sweeping and mopping, cleaning spills, cleaning windows, eliminating all wall marks and scuffs, making beds, clean and maintain elevators and common areas, etc.
- The Janitorial Supervisor will demonstrate a commitment to overall program excellence
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The Janitorial supervisor will be expected to follow directions from state, local government, and public health officials regarding the wearing of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE). As a result, this job may be required to be performed using a mask and gloves for the protection of this employee, the janitorial staff, and all Lighthouse employees. The Janitorial Supervisor will ensure that all members of the Janitorial staff are always wearing PPE during their workday.
Who We Are:
LightHouse has an audacious mission – to transform the lives of the 40,000 blind people in the greater Bay Area and beyond. We do this through tech design, disability advocacy, consultation, classes and community formation in San Francisco, our four satellite offices and Enchanted Hills Camp in Napa. We are a fun, fascinating, widely diverse, warm and friendly community. We work in downtown San Francisco in a 40,000 square foot state-of-the-art workspace renowned for its universal design, steps from Civic Center BART. LightHouse is working for nothing less than to change the future for blind people and the wider community.
Within a five-minute walk are the world headquarters for Twitter, Uber, Dolby, Zendesk and many other tech giants. Within three blocks are all of the principal building for Northern California’s federal, state and local government. Also in our neighborhood are many theaters, San Francisco Symphony and Opera, the Asian Art Museum and dozens of other key cultural anchors of the entire Bay Area.
The successful candidate will join a unique organization in which blind and sighted professionals work together at every level. Our governing Board of Directors, management and staff are all composed of roughly equal numbers of blind and sighted people, a parity unprecedented in our field.
Founded in 1902, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired provides skills, resources and community for the advancement of all individuals who are blind or have low vision. Our innovative programs have been featured in 60 Minutes, the New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal and beyond. The blind community comes to LightHouse to learn how to travel independently with a white cane, to rejoin the workforce, use accessible technology, and meet a community of mentors and peers. From unique tactile maps, to an unparalleled camp for blind campers, to a world prize for blind ambition, LightHouse offers programs unavailable elsewhere
Learn About Us:
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1155 Market Street, 10th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
The LightHouse offers a rich package of benefits, including medical, vision and dental insurance. Employees are eligible for an employer-matched 401(k) plan and subsidized health club membership, among many other perks.
Depending on Experience; industry competitive
How to Apply:
After reviewing the complete Job Description please apply by going to our website at: https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/.
Please complete the application there as well as a cover letter and résumé as word processing document attachments (no PDFs please).
Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints we will only respond to complete submissions. Thanks for your understanding.