POSITION: Grant Writer
REPORTS TO: Director of Development
Founded in San Francisco in 1902, the LightHouse’s purpose is to promote the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or visually impaired. The LightHouse is currently in a period of growth, increasing our capacity to serve more low vision and blind clients. We seek a dynamic professional to help us grow our individual and institutional support. This is an 80% part-time position. Approximately half time (.4 FTE) will be spent researching, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major and planned gifts. Approximately half time (.4 FTE) will be dedicated to Grant Writing: researching opportunities for public and private grant funding; preparing grant proposals; maintaining relationships with grant funders and submitting reports to grantors. This position also serves as a primary agency editor and copywriter, and performs other development duties as requested.
Education: Bachelor or graduate degree preferred, although relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of educational expectation.
Experience: Three years of experience in non-profit fundraising, grant writing, and/or implementing a major gift program. Familiarity with researching a variety of online grant resources, including the Foundation Directory, www.grants.gov and other governmental grant sources. Familiarity with blindness and/or broader disabilities issues is a plus.
Other: Superior written communication. Excellent organizational skills with capability to prioritize and meet multiple deadlines with minimal oversight. Proficiency in MS Word MS Excel required. Experience with Raiser’s Edge donor management software preferred. Enthusiasm for LightHouse services and the transformative effect we can have on the lives of individuals who are blind or low vision. Dedication to learning the latest trends and practices in the blindness field, including review of current literature; attention to the wisdom of various blindness groups; and familiarity with the history of the blindness and disability movement.
Must be able to: Carry or transport 20lbs; sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time; operate standard office equipment; travel independently.
- Personal initiative, curiosity about people, a sense of humor and a strong team-oriented style.
- Prepare and submit grant proposals within funder-specified and organizationally set timelines.
- Coordinate with organization managers and staff to gather information for proposals and reports, including budget/expense information; assist in creating grant budgets and expense reports.
- Track current grantors to assure compliance with reporting requirements, new deadlines, priority updates, etc.
- Proactively research new public and private grant funding opportunities for programmatic and project priorities to assist in fully funding organization’s operating and capital budgets.
- Maintain relationships with funders and prospective funders by providing stewardship of grant gifts; inviting to special events and programmatic functions; keeping them abreast of major organizational changes; and assisting in periodic check-ins over the grant year.
- Coordinate meetings and site visits with individuals and grantors; assist in visits.
- Stay current with grant funding trends in the blindness and disabilities community, as well as the broader philanthropic community, to inform proposal writing.
- Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer to all. Qualified applicants are considered regardless of factors unrelated to the job. LightHouse has an “employment at will” policy.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé as Word attachments (no .PDFs please) to email@example.com, using the job title as your subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles in lieu of the requested format. Due to time constraints we apologize for being unable to acknowledge all interest that may be shown in each position.