POSITION: Facilities Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Director of Human Resources & Facilities
Founded in San Francisco in 1902, the LightHouse’s purpose is to promote the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or visually impaired. The LightHouse is currently in a period of growth, increasing our capacity to serve more low-vision and blind students. We seek a professional to help manage new and larger spaces.
LightHouse seeks a hands-on Facilities Coordinator whose primary responsibility is to uphold the image and functionality of our facilities, ensuring they are places that both visitors and staff find comfortable and accessible. This will be done by personally overseeing and visiting locations to make sure they are consistently clean, safe, professionally maintained and well-arranged. The Facilities Coordinator will also be a “utility player”, assisting programs and operating in a hands-on capacity when required. The successful candidate will have an approachable and positive demeanor. They will also be reliable, flexible and responsive, viewing colleagues and visitors as their internal customers. A collaborative nature is vital, as this position also interacts with property managers, vendors and other external parties. Although based in San Francisco, the Coordinator will also work in Bay Area satellite locations as needed.
Education: An AA degree in a related field, although relevant work experience may be substituted for educational expectation.
Experience: Two years’ professional experience in facilities or hospitality is preferred. A background using a Windows-based computer with MS Office suite is essential, particularly Word, Excel and Outlook. Working knowledge of ergonomics, the ADA and property insurance helpful.
Other: Technical savvy sufficient to learn and teach general A/V operations, particularly in the San Francisco office. Strong interpersonal skills required; trustworthiness, and organization coupled with initiative. Effective communication skills are a must, and the ability to communicate in a language other than English is always appreciated.
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing, bending, stretching, stooping or walking for long periods of time (60 minutes or more).
- Able to travel independently to satellite locations.
- Able to lift and transport up to 50 pounds regularly.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to safely and properly perform manual tasks such as making beds, positioning furniture, and spot-cleaning as necessary.
- Able to sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time (60 minutes or more).
- Able to operate standard office equipment and some janitorial tools.
- Coordinating day and night-time janitorial services as needed.
- Setting up conference and meeting rooms, before and after their use.
- Ordering and distributing office supplies.
- Demonstrating, operating and troubleshooting Agency audio/visual equipment.
- Offering light ergonomic recommendations and adjustments.
- Arranging for food and beverage service for meetings and events as directed.
- Joining the Safety Committee, and collating documentation for each location.
- Picking up meals, setting them up and serving prepared foods for student residents.
- Keeping kitchen, dining and lunch areas clean, organized and well-stocked.
- Running laundry services for student residences before & after Immersion stays.
- Conducting vendor research and making recommendations as necessary.
- Working with vendors to arrange Agency services and deliveries.
- Reporting and resolving issues via work order, in tandem with the property management team.
- Reviewing the daily office calendar, resolving scheduling conflicts and providing event notification to the Webmaster.
- Issuing and maintaining office keys, and updating the key legend.
- Providing Reception relief and filling in for shifts if necessary.
- Packing, unpacking, sorting, loading, unloading and delivering items as requested.
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer to all. We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace. We also operate under a mutual “employment at will” policy.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé as Word attachments (no .PDFs please), to email@example.com, including the job title in the subject line. If applying for a writing position, please include a link to relevant clips or portfolio pieces. Due to time constraints we will only respond to complete submissions in which there is serious interest; thanks for your understanding.