REPORTS TO: Kitchen Manager
WC CLASS: Hourly Non-Exempt
To provide nutritious, well-prepared meals, which are served to all campers, staff, and guests.
AGENCY EXPECTATIONS OF EMPLOYEES:
As employees, we should:
- Read, understand, and adhere to all Agency policies and procedures
- Conduct ourselves in a professional manner on and off the job, knowing that we are representatives of LightHouse
- Perform all job responsibilities
- Maintain a positive and respectful attitude toward everyone
- Communicate regularly and appropriately with our supervisors, and colleagues within our own departments
- Demonstrate efficient time management and the ability to prioritize our assignments.
- Consistently report to work on time, and be ready to begin performing our assigned duties and responsibilities
- Work productively
- Continue to learn and communicate a blindness-positive philosophy based on best current practices in the field
- Education or equivalent: Knowledge of and experience in food service: ordering, inventory, budgeting, food preparation, family-style serving, buffet serving, cleaning, and institutional kitchen equipment. Hold Kitchen Management and ServSafe certification or licensure for operating a kitchen in the camp’s jurisdiction.
Ability to work within a budget and purchase supplies efficiently.
- Experience: Experience in supervision. Knowledge of current health and safety laws and practices is essential. Knowledge of and experience in preparation of special dietary foods. Equipment Used: Mixers, Ovens, Dishwashers, Fans, Refrigeration Systems, Meat/Cheese Slicing Machines and General Kitchen Aids.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Physical ability to lift and carry 50 pounds.
- Ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards of the site and facilities.
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing/walking for long periods of time (60 minutes or more).
- Ability to safely and properly use kitchen equipment.
- Ability to provide first aid and to assist campers and staff in an emergency.
- Under the direction of the Kitchen Manager, manage the shift operations of the camp food and dining service including coordinating activities between the kitchen and dining room.
- Oversee the planning and preparation of nutritionally balanced meals.
- Ensure the service of meals through directing the work of other employees.
- Ensure safe and efficient preparation and serving of meals.
Coordinate menu planning for user groups as directed.
- Under the direction of the Kitchen Manager, maintain the inventory and ordering of food, equipment, and supplies and arrange for the routine maintenance, sanitation, and upkeep of the camp kitchen, its equipment, and facilities.
- Under the direction of the Kitchen Manager, provide supervision and administrative support to kitchen and dining room employees.
- Monitor employee performance and training.
- Customer Service
- Meet the public and be supportive of and sensitive to diversity of people, cultures and special needs.
- Greet groups, maintain positive relationship with group leaders and group participants.
- Manage group issues that may arise (complaints, menu changes, etc).
- Lead food service personnel in maintaining a professional, courteous atmosphere.
Other Job Duties:
- Cook will have a designated relationship with the maintenance department to assist in the proper and efficient operation of all kitchen appliances.
- On occasion, be on call to respond to group needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is an equal opportunity employer to all. Qualified applicants are considered regardless of age, race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, marital status, pregnancy, disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, religion, military veteran status, political affiliation, height, weight or any other factor unrelated to the job.
We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace free of harassment, in accordance with California law. Employees are expected to behave in accordance with these objectives.
All LightHouse employees are hired for an indefinite and unspecified duration and consequently, no employee is guaranteed employment for a specified length of time. Employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and LightHouse. Accordingly, either the employee or LightHouse can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause (“employment at will”).
Please submit a cover letter and résumé as Word attachments (no .PDFs please), to email@example.com, including the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints we will only respond to complete submissions in which there is serious interest. Thank you for your understanding. To fill out the application, please enable editing in the document.