POSITION: Adult Program Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Community Services Director
STATUS: Exempt – Full time: 37.5 hours
DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
Founded in San Francisco in 1902, LightHouse for the Blind is a dynamic nonprofit organization, serving the blind community through many innovative programs and services. Certified teachers provide skills training to blind and low-vision students to increase independence. Blind youth engage in high expectations-based immersion training to prepare them for college, work, and beyond. Civic participation is encouraged by attending community forums and service events. On-demand tactile mapping and a quarter of a million pages of Braille are produced each year in the MAD LAB, and countless lives are changed at our Enchanted Hills Camp in Napa. We need your talents, hard work and dedication to continue meeting and surpassing these expectations.
Diversity and Inclusion: LightHouse intentionally and actively works to minimize barriers to employment faced by many marginalized groups. As a result, we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and abilities, including but not limited to applicants who possess various disabilities, racial and ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientation, gender identities, and ages.
The LightHouse Adult Program Coordinator will:
- Be responsible for developing a full schedule of programs both virtually and at the LightHouse headquarters and in the community.
- Coordinate, supervise, or otherwise provide support to volunteers, student volunteers, and/or program participants to ensure smooth facilitation of active program hours.
- Build strong, fruitful relationships with individuals, organizations, and other community partners who can support the Lighthouse’s goal of a thriving Adult Program by facilitating or teaching activities.
- Collaborate with Lighthouse staff and volunteers to work as a team on projects, assignments, and tasks.
- Oversee administrative support in ensuring entry of pertinent data into Salesforce and maintaining clear and professional student records.
- Oversee administrative support in processing and recording program service fees and expenses.
- Manage and coordinate administrative support, supervisors, and other relevant LightHouse staff and community partners to ensure appropriate compliance with grant guidelines.
- Maintain student confidentiality.
- Actively develop and manage relationships with partners and community members to recruit students and outreach while simultaneously promoting existing effective programs
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner on and off the job, knowing that they are representatives of the Lighthouse.
- Demonstrate efficient time management and the ability to prioritize assignments.
- Consistently report to work on time and be ready to begin performing assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Provide First Aid or CPR if necessary.
- Attend staff meetings and departmental briefings as requested.
- Continue to learn and communicate a blindness-positive philosophy.
- Other duties may also be assigned or re-assigned according to candidate’s skill set.
- Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- The Adult Program Coordinator serves as an important liaison between the LightHouse, volunteers, program participants, and community partners. Developing and managing these relationships is a vital part of creating high-quality and engaging social, recreational, and educational opportunities for the blind community and essential to success in this role
- Other duties as assigned
- Education or equivalent: B.A. degree in a relevant field such as education, special education, or recreational therapy; Master’s degree preferred.
- Must possess at least three years direct experience working with blind and low-vision adults.
- Must be a competent and effective user of Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, and Excel. Salesforce or other database experience and knowledge of Zoom or other web conferencing platforms a plus.
- Comprehensive knowledge on the latest trends impacting the blind and low-vision community as well as a general understanding of the blindness community (e.g., alternative skills blind and low-vision people use to work, travel, and participate as everyday citizens of their communities.
- Current certification in First Aid and/ or CPR.
- Bilingual (e.g., Spanish, Mandarin, ASL).
- Experienced with social media or Braille literate a plus.
- Ability to sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time; operate standard office equipment; ability to work at home or in office independently.
- Regular evening and weekend assignments
- Must be able to carry or transport 25 lbs.
LightHouse is an equal opportunity employer. LightHouse policy and the law prohibit discrimination and harassment based on an individual’s race, ancestry, religion or religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, age (40 and over), sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin (including language use restrictions), marital status, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), physical or mental disability (including HIV and AIDS), military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions, denial of Family and Medical Care leave, height and weight, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local laws, regulations, or ordinances. Our policy and the law prohibit co-workers, third parties, supervisors, and managers from engaging in such conduct.
LightHouse personnel are employed on an at-will basis. Employment at-will means that the employment relationship may be terminated, with or without cause and with or without advance notice at any time by the employee or the Agency. We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace.
How to Apply:
After reviewing the complete Job Description please send an application online via our website at: https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/ as well as a cover letter and résumé as word processing document attachments (no PDFs please), to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints, we will only respond to complete submissions. Thanks for your understanding.