POSITION: Accountant (Two positions)
STATUS: Exempt, Full-time
Application Deadline: Open until filled
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, one of San Francisco’s oldest and best-known philanthropies, with a state-of-the-art headquarters on Market Street where we coordinate volunteers, big tech, teachers, families, students and a caring staff together to design and build new ways to help people with visual impairments; an industry leading social enterprise and manufacturing facility in Alameda that employs 20 people who are blind or visually impaired from the production line to the R&D laboratory; and our reimagined and newly built Enchanted Hills Camp that serves hundreds of blind people each year.
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is looking for a full time Senior Accountant to fill a valued role in our growing organization in San Francisco, CA.
Under Controller supervision, the Accountant will be a critical finance team member supporting the financial statement production and clean audit documentation through transactional, reconciliation and workpaper support.
Education or equivalent:
BS degree in Accounting preferred, although relevant work experience may also be considered. A strong, working knowledge of GAAP accounting principles and practices is essential.
1-3 years of accounting related experience
non-profit experience preferred
- Superior communication skills
- Strong organization and prioritization/time management skills that ensure timely completion of assigned projects and deadlines
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Strong customer service commitment and ability for internal and external customers
- Ability to be a contributing partner to the San Francisco-based Finance team and program and operations.
- In-depth knowledge of GAAP and non-profit accounting.
Preferred experience with Calendaring, Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, as well other Software Applications including but not limited to QuickBooks, Financial Edge and Mar-Kov
- Must be able to sit or stand at a desk and perform computer-intensive work
- Must be able to operate standard office equipment
- Must be able to carry or move 20 lbs independently and 50 lbs using assistive devices.
The Accountant’s general duties include completing in a timely manner and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Please note the below Job Responsibilities will be split between the two available positions:
- Responsible for transactions, documentation, reconciliations and workpapers related to inventory, fixed assets, leases and property tax exemptions
- Record insurance billing and receivables
- Prepare sales tax returns, property tax returns and exemptions. Prepares monthly and quarterly contract invoices to Lighthouse funders including federal, state, county and city grantors.
- Works closely with Controller to compile, document and record requisite data for invoices and submit invoices per contractual deadlines.
- Prepares monthly and quarterly journal entries to record accounts receivable and revenue.
- Manages Accounts Receivable, preparing accounting entries in the General Ledger to reflect payments received, following up on variances from invoiced amounts, reviewing accounts receivable aging and following up with appropriate agency staff and/or external customers on past due balances.
- Prepare and record Payroll and payroll related journal entries and reconciliations
- Prepare sales tax returns
- Administers agency policies for petty cash; ensures appropriate approval signatures accompany requests for disbursement of petty cash, expenses coded appropriately in the General Ledger, and receipts provided for all transactions
- Manage Fixed Asset Schedule
- Record Payroll
- Prepaid reconciliation and amortization
- Reconcile bank accounts
- Backup the other Accountant and Accounting Specialists
- Prepare audit schedules and support audits
- Perform other duties as assigned
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
LightHouse is an equal opportunity employer. LightHouse policy and the law prohibit discrimination and harassment based on an individual’s race, ancestry, religion or religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, age (40 and over), sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin (including language use restrictions), marital status, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), physical or mental disability (including HIV and AIDS), military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions, denial of Family and Medical Care leave, height and weight, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local laws, regulations, or ordinances. Our policy and the law prohibit co-workers, third parties, supervisors, and managers from engaging in such conduct.
LightHouse personnel are employed on an at-will basis. Employment at-will means that the employment relationship may be terminated, with or without cause and with or without advance notice at any time by the employee or the Agency.
We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace. Employees are expected to behave in accordance with these objectives.
All employees at LightHouse are hired for an indefinite and unspecified duration and consequently, no employee is guaranteed employment for a specified length of time. Employment is at the mutual consent of the employee and LightHouse. Accordingly, either the employee or LightHouse can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause (“employment at will”).
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and résumé as Word attachments (no .PDFs please), to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints, we will only respond to complete submissions in which there is serious interest; thanks for your understanding.