All students, customers, visitors and staff are required to wear a mask indoors in gatherings of 25 people or more, or if asked to do so in someone's personal space at all our sites.
LightHouse is again partnering with AARP’s Tax-Aide Program to provide free tax filing support at 1155 Market Street this tax filing season. AARP will be at LightHouse HQ on Mondays and Thursdays from February 2 – April 13, 2023.
Appointments are required and they can be made for 9:30 am, 11 am, and 12:30 pm. Appointments can be scheduled by leaving a voicemail at 415-694-7648 or completing this form: https://forms.office.com/r/MsNHzhK3Hc
This is open to anyone who needs support filing their federal and California state tax returns for the tax years 2022, 2021, 2020, and 2019. (note: each year requires a separate appointment and we can only complete tax years 2019, 2020, and 2021 in March). There is no requirement based on age, income level, or San Francisco residency.
Please bring with you:
- Your tax paperwork you’ve received in the mail
- A copy of your social security card
- A copy of your photo ID
- If you are eligible for a refund and would like it deposited directly into your account, please bring a voided check. If you do not have a voided check, your refund check will be mailed to you
Masks must be worn at all times.
Out of Scope:
If any of these situations apply to you, you may be out of scope for AARP. If you think that you are out of scope, please feel free to call us so that we can confirm.
- If you do not have health insurance, we cannot prepare your tax return. Apologies, but this is due to the California mandate that requires everybody to have health insurance, which results in tax complications.
- If you have tax deductible contributions to an HSA account, we cannot prepare your tax return. This is due to the differences in Federal and California tax law and is complicated.
- If you have rental income, we cannot prepare your tax return.
- If you are in a civil union or married filing separately, we cannot prepare your tax return. This is due to the differences in Federal and California tax law.
- If you’re self-employed, and want to declare your health insurance premiums as an expense, and are receiving premium tax credits (via CoveredCA), we cannot prepare your tax return.
- If you have rental property, we cannot prepare your return.
- If you have a dependent child with unearned income subject to the “Kiddie Tax”, we cannot prepare your return.
- If you are self-employed and, due to the pandemic, you deferred paying your Self-Employment tax, have a PPP loan, or took Covid sick leave, we cannot prepare your return.
- If you own a business with employees and/or inventory, we cannot prepare your return. You would be wise to hire a professional tax preparer.
- If you have hobby income or not for profit activity, we cannot prepare your return.
There are some specific requirements and not all taxes will be able to be completed by AARP volunteers; these will be addressed when the appointments are made.
If you have any questions, please call 415-694-7648. Thank you.