POSITION: Vice President of Finance
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired is looking for a strategic and forward-thinking leader to join the LightHouse executive team. This team serves a large non-profit with a three-pronged approach to achieve our mission through world-renowned services, social enterprises, and a one-of-a-kind camp for the blind. With more than 100 employees and an annual budget of $17 million, the LightHouse has the resources and imagination to help change the lives of the blind and low vision population of the greater Bay Area and beyond. One of San Francisco’s oldest and best-known philanthropies, with a state-of-the-art headquarters on Market Street where we coordinate volunteers, big tech, teachers, families, students and caring staff together to design and build new ways to help people with visual impairments; an industry-leading social enterprise and manufacturing facility in Alameda that employs 20 people who are blind or visually impaired from the production line to the R&D laboratory; and our reimagined and newly built Enchanted Hills Camp that serves hundreds of blind people each year.
The VP of Finance will serve on the Lighthouse’s Executive Leadership Team reporting to the COO. However, this position has a direct and independent relationship with the CEO and will serve the CEO when requested to perform independent internal audit duties. The VP of Finance will assist the CEO to communicate with the Board of Directors on the overall financial performance, health. sustainability and management of the organization’s assets, businesses, and program departments.
The VP of Finance will be responsible for the development of LightHouse financial management strategies and contribute to the development of the organization’s strategic goals. In addition to the strategic components, the VP will be charged with developing and implementing more sophisticated systems, policies and procedures that integrate with all other operating systems and tools. This is an outstanding opportunity for a finance executive with operational experience and a proven track record of creative problem-solving and change management to join a high-growth, mission-driven organization.
Education or equivalent:
- Business or Accounting degree mandatory, a master’s in business administration is preferred
- CPA preferred
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a senior management role ideally with both external audit and in-house financial management experience gained in a high-growth organization
- Experience either as an employee or board member of a nonprofit organization.
- Must be familiar with nonprofit finance and accounting regulations
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing organization
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask
- Superior management skills: ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results-oriented
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical finance and administration initiatives.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, LightHouse board of directors, and staff
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as a strategic thinker
- Passion for the LightHouse Mission
- Able to manage a variety of high priorities simultaneously. Must be proactive, organized, collaborative and hands-on. Able to work and communicate with a variety of internal and external colleagues
- Strong Microsoft Suite skills essential, especially Excel. ADP payroll experience a definite plus.
- Report departmental performance data monthly and quarterly in accessible and understandable laymen and qualitative narratives for use by budget managers.
The LightHouse welcomes nontraditional applicants and applicants with diverse backgrounds and experience.
The Lighthouse welcomes people with experience working in a diverse work environment. Experience working with people who are blind or have other disabilities is a plus.
A successful candidate must embody the values of cultural competency, professionalism, respect, and discernment.
This position will place a high value on a strong ability to write clearly, compellingly and with subtlety on matters of policy and intra-office communication. In addition, the ability to present executive level presentations to the LightHouse Board of Directors and Board Finance Committee is required
The successful candidate must have a strong ability to lead group training in an accessible, compelling, and clear manner.
This VP is expected to possess experience in leading financial strategy and policy within a multi-site, remote and multi-functional organization.
- Ability to safely and properly use common office equipment
- Ability to sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time.
- The ability to work at an offsite location(s) independently as needed. Occasional travel will be required to address Finance-related matters at our Northern California satellite locations.
The Vice President (VP) of Finance has duties that include the following:
- Lead and execute strategic initiatives in Finance.
- The VP of Finance will:
- Collaborate with the executive leadership team to launch the financial aspects of a new organizational ERP system, including inventory management and a cloud-based General Ledger.
- Update existing financial policies and procedures and develop training programs for the adoption of new policies and procedures.
- Serve on the Executive Leadership Team and contribute to the development of LightHouse strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
- Advise the CEO and the Executive Leadership Team on strategic options and actions in areas of organizational direction, financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters
- Provide background and policy options for use by the CEO and, when requested, by the Lighthouse Board of Directors
- At the direction of the CEO, the VP of Finance will collaborate with the board, finance, investment, and audit committees; effectively communicate and present critical financial matters at the select board of directors and committee meetings.
- At the direction of the CEO, create 3–5-year cash flow projections in support of the Board Finance, Investment, Executive and Corpus Visioning Committees.
- Serve as primary liaison with LightHouse banking and investment relationships to ensure the integrity of financial systems, complying with regulations, and providing statutory reporting.
- Supervise all Finance Department managers
- In collaboration with Finance managers, the VP of Finance will
- Serve as the point of escalation for Finance related concerns
- Lead the Finance department in completing all compliance-related reporting such as state and Internal Revenue documents, 990s and sales tax returns.
- In cooperation with the CEO, Executive Leadership Team and budget managers, the VP of Finance will
- Formulate departmental budget proposals and ultimately, the annual operating budget.
- Facilitate the finalization of the annual budget at the direction of the CEO.
- Complete government / private grant / contract fiscal management and billing.
- Oversee payroll administration and process, and record all payroll-related transactions in the accounting system as needed;
- Oversee insurance billing and accounting-related transactions insurance billing.
- Oversee compliance with NMTC reporting requirements and reviewing and approving related legal entity tax return filings.
- Oversee extensive inventory management and factory accounting for cleaning products, toilet tissue and a small retail operation.
- Prepare monthly close and financial statement analyses.
- Oversee relationships with audit firm(s) for the Agency’s annual independent audit.
- Administer retirement plan and monitor same for ERISA compliance and form 5500 filing.
- Comply with various state, federal and grantor monitoring requirements.
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
LightHouse is an equal opportunity employer. LightHouse policy and the law prohibit discrimination and harassment based on an individual’s race, ancestry, religion or religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), color, age (40 and over), sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin (including language use restrictions), marital status, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), physical or mental disability (including HIV and AIDS), military or veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions, denial of Family and Medical Care leave, height and weight, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local laws, regulations, or ordinances. Our policy and the law prohibit co-workers, third parties, supervisors, and managers from engaging in such conduct.
LightHouse personnel are employed on an at-will basis. Employment at-will means that the employment relationship may be terminated, with or without cause and with or without advance notice at any time by the employee or the Agency. We strive to maintain a scent-free environment and a drug-free workplace.
How to Apply:
Please visit our website at https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/ and complete an application as well as a cover letter and résumé as word processing attachments, (no PDFs please).
Please submit all application materials to Human Resources at email@example.com. Please include the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints, we will only respond to complete submissions. Thanks for your understanding.