In 2014, the LightHouse reached a settlement with Redbox Automated Retail LLC, which required Redbox to improve accessibility of their movie rental kiosks in California. As a result of the lawsuit, Redbox agreed to make its approximately 3,600 movie and video game rental kiosks accessible to blind users. You can now browse, select and return movies with headphones and a text-to-speech interface controlled via touchpad, thanks to careful collaboration between LightHouse and Redbox. Now, Redbox wants to make sure its accessibility measures are working to meet the needs of its blind users. And that’s where you come in.
Help the LightHouse as we test to ensure accessibility of Redbox movie rental kiosks! Sign up to become a tester and try out Redbox’s new platform for accessibility. We have completed the first two rounds of tests and need additional participants for our final study.
We are seeking new participants only. No repeat participants please.
You’ll be asked to test the following functions to determine effectiveness for blind users:
- Accessing information with the user interface touch pad
- Browsing through options and locating your desired movie
- Renting a movie
- Returning a movie
- Participants will receive a $150 Visa gift card or Amazon electronic gift card upon completion of the post study survey
What is required
- Two visits to a Redbox kiosk convenient to your location. Redbox Kiosks are located outside and inside supermarkets and retail centers throughout CA and can be found via www.redbox.com
- Headphones to hear the speech output prompts
- Debit or credit card to pay for the movie rental
- Provide your transportation to and from the kiosk location
- Two visits are needed to complete the study, one visit to rent the movie and one visit to return the movie.
- Allow approximately 20 minutes per visit to navigate the interface, to browse, rent and/or return the movie
- Please be aware that other customers may wish to use the kiosk during the study
- After each visit, you must complete a survey with your findings
Sign up to become a tester by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by July 26. The study period ends August 3. Please note that you are responsible for your transportation to and from Redbox kiosks and incur the normal risks associated with your travel.