In January, the LightHouse Youth Program launched the latest program for transition-aged students who are blind or have low vision. Our Saturday, March 26 session is all about college.
LightHouse YES: Youth Employment Series
LightHouse YES: Youth Employment Series is an informative series of monthly workshops providing transition-aged youth who are blind or have low vision vital skills and practices that will help them become more successful in higher education and their chosen career path.
What is the LightHouse Youth Employment Series?
A series of day long workshops designed to help youth and transition-aged students (recommend age: 14 to 24 years old) who are blind or have low vision to be prepared to become successfully employed. Through a variety of speakers and collaborative activities led by successful blind professionals, students will gain invaluable wisdom that can help them grow and shape themselves into competent blind adults.
These workshops will teach students to:
- Effectively navigate through any system to ensure you receive necessary accommodations.
- Learn about accommodations available to college students and those entering the workforce.
- Acquire access technology skills which can be applied to real world situations, and test how effective these technologies might be for yourself.
- Acquire and use blindness skills that will enrich your life and help you achieve your goals, be more confident and learn how to advocate for your needs.
- How to transition smoothly into college from high school or from college to a career.
- Develop Effective cover letters and resumes.
- Practice networking, participate in mock interviews, and understand how to make a strong and positive first impression.
- Learn how to develop, enhance and utilize your network and your relationship with peers and mentors.
When and where will the workshops be held?
9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. on the following Saturdays: March 26, April 30 and May 21. These workshops will be held at the LightHouse, San Francisco Headquarters.
Is there a cost?
The cost to attend one of the LightHouse Youth Employment Series workshops is $150 per student. In addition to the day’s activities and curriculum, students will receive a light breakfast, lunch and refreshments throughout the day. DOR authorizations or alternate payment source must be secured before students will be eligible to participate.
March 2016 LightHouse YES: College Connections
Who: Youth and transition-aged students (recommended age range: 14 to 24 years old) who are blind or who have low vision.
When: Saturday, March 26, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Where: LightHouse, San Francisco Headquarters
Our March workshop, College Connections, will focus on information and resources that will help high school and college students be more successful in higher education. Students who participate in this workshop will walk away with valuable wisdom from current students and recent graduates about how best to navigate the college system. We will discuss topics such as Disabled Students Services, what it is and how the program can help you; why you should sign up with Department of Rehabilitation and more.
If you would like more information or to register for the workshop please contact Jamey Gump, Youth Services Coordinator, at 415-694-7372 or by email at email@example.com.
Save the Date for our first youth insider’s look at how to apply for a job – Saturday, April 30th
During our April workshop we will focus on cover letters, resumes and how to conduct a job search. Stay tuned for our April announcement.