Have you ever received a gift you didn’t want or had no use for? Here’s your opportunity to unload that cringe-worthy dust collector in a fun and humorous way. Join the LightHouse Youth Program as we celebrate the holidays at our Annual White Elephant party.
For those unfamiliar, a White Elephant party is a fun holiday gift giving party where participants bring humorous and inexpensive gifts to exchange. White elephant gifts are usually tacky, gaudy, inexpensive and of course, silly. The funnier and more absurd, the better. The best part of the game is “stealing” gifts from other participants. For more information about the rules of the game, see below.
Each youth who wishes to participate in the gift exchange must bring one gift valued at no more than $10. Gifts should be tasteful and non-offensive, however, the more outrageous and/or funny the gift, the more fun we will have. You’ll also bring a side dish or appetizer to contribute to our potluck holiday dinner.
Who: Blind or low vision youth between the ages of 14 to 24
What: White Elephant Gift Exchange Holiday Party
When: Saturday, December 12, from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Where: LightHouse San Francisco Headquarters
Waiver: Each participant must submit a LightHouse Youth Program waiver form, if they have not done so for a previous outing
Things to bring: one wrapped gift valued at no more than $10 for the gift exchange, favorite side dish or appetizer to share during our potluck
Please RSVP by Thursday, December 10
To RSVP for this event or for more information, please contact Jamey Gump, Youth Services Coordinator, at (415) 694-7372 or by email at email@example.com.
White Elephant Holiday Party Rules
- Each participant must bring one wrapped gift that does not exceed $10 and place it with other wrapped gifts on a designated table.
- Participants will take turns pulling numbers from a hat to determine the order.
- The first player selects a gift from the pool and opens it.
- Subsequent players can choose to either pick an unwrapped gift from the designated table or steal a previous player’s gift. Anyone who gets their gift stolen in this way can do the same – choose a new gift or steal from someone else.
- Gifts can be exchanged 3 times per round, and gifts cannot be stolen back from the person who stole from you.
- Game continues in this fashion until all gifts have been opened.
- After all players have had a turn, the first player gets a chance to swap the gift he or she is holding for any other opened gift. Anyone whose gift is stolen may steal from someone else (as long as that person hasn’t been stolen from yet). When someone declines to steal a gift, the game comes to an end.
If you are a blind or a low vision youth, or the parent of someone who is blind or low vision, you need to sign up for our new Youth Program Events List. This is the email that will tell you all about the LightHouse social, recreational and educational outings and adventures we offer each month, just for blind and low vision youth. You’ll also hear about scholarship and other youth related educational and leadership opportunities. To sign up for our Youth Program Events List, or for more information about the program, please contact Jamey Gump, Youth services Coordinator, at 415-694-7372 or firstname.lastname@example.org.