Job Title: Driver/Assistant – Youth Enrichment Program
Reports to: Youth Programs Coordinator
Society for the Blind is currently seeking qualified applicants to fill the two open positions of YEP Driver/Assistant. Our mission is to empower individuals who are blind or have low vision to live productively and independently by building confidence through training, tools and mentorship. Society for the Blind is a 501c3 organization serving Northern California, with a focus on Sacramento, Placer and Yolo counties.
General Description: The essential function of the job is to operate Society vehicles to transport campers and camp staff to Camp Ross Relles and other assigned destinations. Responsibility includes assisting camp staff with various tasks and acting as an assistant during off-camp activities from July 9, 2012 through July 22, 2012. This position requires a valid Class B License with passenger endorsement, a clean driving record and mapping skills.
- Drive an assigned route to transport campers and staff to and from various locations.
- Read and interpret maps, driving directions and road signs to plan the most efficient route.
- Verify the safety of passengers prior to each trip departure.
- Operate assigned vehicle in a safe and courteous manner.
- Maintain defensive driving.
- Assist passengers in securing bags, luggage and other items; should be able to lift at least 50lbs.
- Ensure that assigned vehicle is properly fueled and maintained
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date records of vehicle mileage and fuel purchase receipts.
- Assist program staff during off-camp field trips and activities.
- Other duties as required.
- Must be at least 21 years of age or older.
- Must have a valid Class B license with passenger endorsement issued by the State Department of Motor Vehicles. A copy of current Medical Examiner’s certificate card will be requested.
- Current MVR (motor vehicle report) will be requested, and applicant must be insurable through Society for the Blind’s insurance carrier. Previous certification in a Defensive Driving (or similar) course is appreciated.
- Exemplary driving record, current personal auto insurance; scheduling flexibility; high school diploma or equivalent.
- Willingness to undergo job-specific and agency-specific safety and skills training.
- Attentive, courteous, drug and alcohol-free driving is absolutely crucial
- Successfully pass pre-employment background check requirement.
- One year or more of professional driving experience.
- Excellent communication skills. Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Enthusiasm for working with youth. Patient and encouraging attitude toward campers.
- Current CPR/first aid certification is desired.
- Lifeguarding certification is not required but would be a plus.
- Adhere to all Society policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of, belief in and adherence to agency’s mission and vision.
- Stay current in areas of responsibility.
- Maintain positive and professional relationships with Society clients, staff and volunteers.
- Other duties as requested or as need is assessed.
Submit a resume and cover letter to Dwayne Davis, Youth Programs Coordinator at email address email@example.com. No phone calls please!