Job Title: Adaptive Technology Instructor IV
Reports to: Adaptive Technology Team Lead
Society for the Blind is currently seeking a qualified individual as an Adaptive Technology Instructor IV. Our mission is to empower individuals who are blind or have low vision to live productively and independently by building confidence through training, tools and mentorship. Society for the Blind is a 501c3 organization serving Northern California, with a focus on Sacramento, Placer and Yolo counties.
General Description: The essential functions of the job are to teach all aspects of adapted computer and rehabilitation technology use to Society clients, to maintain expertise in all instructed programs and upgrades, and be a motivated team player to teach blind students computer skills using adaptive equipment and techniques to enhance computer competence and effectiveness, especially in employment settings.
- Instruct small group or individual classes in adaptive computing for blind and visually impaired clients.
- Assess and evaluate clients as to appropriate instructional modality and needs.
- Consistently achieve high level of excellence in both instruction and productivity.
- Coordinate closely with the Adaptive Technology Team Lead and Core Programs Manager to arrange for maximum hours of client service and instruction.
- Ensure that software and hardware are in good working condition for teaching.
- Create manuals and tutorials which will assist clients to progress in learning curriculum.
- Create, update, and revise curriculum as needed, with all related materials for submission to the Adaptive Technology Team Lead.
- Develop new projects as assigned and as related to access technology with emphasis on both excellent client service and increased revenue production.
- Maintain thorough, complete and timely ongoing weekly and monthly recordkeeping of client services; including, but not limited to case notes, lesson notes, evaluations, progress reports, and correspondence.
Team building and Networking
- Present client issues to supervisor and contribute to ongoing problem solving of such issues while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
- Consult with other professionals, family members or other appropriate parties regarding the progress and problems of the clients.
- Participate in individual case conferences and confer regularly with program staff on multi-disciplinary service team concerning client’s program and adjustment to blindness or vision loss.
- Maintain positive and professional relations with counselors of Department of Rehabilitation and other agencies as well as Society clients, staff, and volunteers.
- Coordinate effective client service with third-party counselors, such as Department of Rehabilitation.
- Maintain positive and professional relationship with SFTB clients, staff and volunteers.
- Attend all staff and department meetings.
- Adhere to all Society policies and procedures.
- Obtain training to enhance job requirements.
- Stay current in areas of responsibility.
- Other duties as requested or as need is assessed.
- Highly skilled in current operating systems, especially current Windows, with a particular emphasis on mastery of all alternative keyboard commands to replace mouse use.
- Expertise in at least one major screen review program such as JAWS or Window-Eyes and familiarity with a second.
- Expertise in Microsoft Office Programs including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook & MS Internet Explorer required.
- Familiarity with ZoomText (all levels) desirable.
- Effective communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work individually or as part of a team.
- Understanding of blindness and some proficiency in non-visual techniques.
- Knowledge of, belief in and adherence to the agency’s mission and vision
Educational and Experience Requirements:
High school diploma or G.E.D.
Minimum two years working experience.
Submit your resume and a cover letter via email to Karen Ankeny, Adaptive Technology Team Lead at email@example.com .
No phone calls please!
Application’s deadline: Until the position is filled.