Reports to: Daily Living Skills Team Lead
Society for the Blind is currently seeking a qualified individual as an Orientation & Mobility Instructor II. Our mission is to empower individuals who are blind or have low vision to live productively and independently by building confidence through training, tools and mentorship. Society for the Blind is a 501c3 organization serving Northern California, with a focus on Sacramento, Placer and Yolo counties.
General Description: The essential functions of the job are to teach all aspects and levels of Braille and other communication devices used by blind or low-vision clients. Emphasis of instruction is on enhancement of Braille competence and effectiveness with particular focus on independent living as well as employment settings and outcomes.
- Consistently achieve high level of excellence in both instruction and productivity.
- Instruct small group or individual classes in Braille and other communication devices for blind and low vision clients.
- Assess and evaluate clients as to appropriate instructional plan and needs for personal record-keeping by using agency’s database as well as Microsoft Word, Excel, and email products.
- Teach and/ or demonstrate use of various adaptive devices to download and access Electronic Braille via note-takers &/or Braille displays.
- Ensure that the highest levels of Braille speed and accuracy are mastered by a student before completing and being released from the course.
- Maintain the most up to date teaching practices with regard to Braille and other communication devices used by individuals who are blind or have low vision such as talking, tactile or visually-enhanced cellular phones; Personal Data Devices; and Braille note-takers.
- Create, update, and revise curriculum as needed, with all related materials for submission to the Daily Living Skills Team Lead.
- Develop new projects related to Braille and other communication devices with emphasis on both excellent client service and increased revenue.
- Coordinate closely with the Daily Living Skills Team Lead and Core Programs Manager to arrange maximum hours of client service and instruction.
- Maintain thorough, complete and timely ongoing weekly and monthly recordkeeping of client services; including, but not limited to, lesson notes, evaluations, progress reports, & correspondence.
Team building & Networking
- Present client issues to supervisor and contribute to ongoing problem solving of such issues while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
- Consult with other professionals, family members or other appropriate parties regarding the progress and problems of the clients.
- Participate in individual case conferences and confer regularly with program staff on multi-disciplinary service team concerning client’s program and adjustment to blindness or vision loss.
- Maintain positive and professional relations with counselors of Department of Rehabilitation and other agencies as well as Society clients, staff, and volunteers.
- Coordinate effective client service with third-party counselors, such as Department of Rehabilitation.
- Maintain positive and professional relationship with SFTB clients, staff and volunteers.
- Attend all staff and department meetings.
- Adhere to all Society policies and procedures.
- Obtain training to enhance job requirements.
- Stay current in areas of responsibility.
- Other duties as requested or as need is assessed.
- Highly skilled in current operating systems, especially current.
- Windows and proficient knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel is required.
- Effective communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work individually or as part of a team.
- Understanding of blindness and some proficiency in non-visual techniques.
- Knowledge of, belief in and adherence to the agency’s mission and vision.
Educational and Experience Requirements:
1. High school diploma or G.E.D.
2. Minimum two years working experience.
Submit your resume and a cover letter via email to Diane Starin, Daily Living Skills Team Lead at email@example.com
No phone calls please!
Application’s deadline: Until the position is filled.