Disability Rights Advocates (DRA), a non-profit legal center, is investigating complaints regarding services for students with disabilities within the University of California, Berkeley system. If you are a UC Berkeley student who has experienced difficulties obtaining accommodation services, they want to hear from you.
DRA is investigating both the quality and the timeliness of the following services:
- Note-taking and scribe services
- Availability of documents including textbooks, handouts and other course materials in accessible formats
- Mobility assistance
- Accessible equipment & technology denial and/or delay in receiving other needed accommodations.
They are also investigating the following issues:
- Lack of information regarding access features on campus
- Lack of information regarding accommodation policies and procedures for students with disabilities, whether the delay or denial of accommodations has forced you to rely on alternative resources such ss:
- Advocating on your own behalf for accommodations from your professor
- Relying on friends and social networks for note-taking and/or other needed services
To share your stories, contact Kara Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org or. 510-665-8644, ext. 138. All communications will be kept confidential.