Youth Career Development Specialist
About JobTrain: Located on the Menlo Park/East Palo Alto border, JobTrain is a private, nonprofit job-training
center and accredited school (accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges – WASC). JobTrain
offers a variety of vocational training programs as well as basic computer and ESL classes.
About the position: This listing is for a full-time exempt position at JobTrain, reporting directly to the Youth
Programs Coordinator. As with any position at JobTrain, we seek individuals who understand the dynamics of a nonprofit
organization, the importance of fiscal responsibility, and the development of programs geared to minority and
This position works primarily with clients throughout their employment search, although in some cases, the position
will require vocational counseling to clients that are currently in training. The Career Development Specialist will also
work with other staff to develop and market new and innovative approaches to job development and identify
employers in training related fields.
1. Establish, nurture, and maintain employer relationships as well as corporate/business.
2. Assist in the organization of job fairs and participate in sponsored events such as career fairs, boot camps
etc which publicize JobTrain’s vocational training programs and expose JobTrain clients to job interview and
3. Case management of job development progress, placement and job retention.
4. Assist Corporate Relations Coordinator in developing, managing, and maintaining an employer/job
development database for informational, tracking, and archival purposes.
5. Make recommendations for improving and redirecting employer relationships and job development
prospects to the Corporate Relations Coordinator.
6. Produce reports detailing efforts in job development, referral and placement activities to the Youth Program
7. Represent JobTrain to businesses, industry, and the community-at-large.
8. Maintain client folders and organizational database on a weekly/monthly basis to include current client data,
and employment information as needed. Strong attention to detail is required.
9. Other related duties to facilitate a strong Client Services Department.
Experience: Any combination of training and experience which demonstrates ability to perform the duties as
described; verified experience in job placement in either private or public agencies within the last four years
preferred; experience working with at-risk populations and experience in public relations preferred. Knowledge of
methods and techniques of job development and client placement; current practices in vocational education; local
labor market trends and employment opportunities in both the private and public sectors in the San Francisco Bay
Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in education, counseling/ psychology, social
work, or other human services is preferred.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted for the above.
Other: Successful applicants will have excellent written, verbal, organizational, interpersonal communication, and
Compensation and Eligibility:
JobTrain offers a competitive salary; medical and dental benefits; a 403(b) retirement plan with company
match; life insurance; and paid time off. We are an equal opportunity employer. Successful candidates
must have legal residency and meet the eligibility requirements to work in the United States (per INS Form
How to Apply:
Please send your letter of interest and resumé to Eric Forgaard at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to
his attention at the address below. Please no telephone calls.
1200 O’Brien Drive, Menlo Park, CA 94025 Main Telephone: (650) 330-6429